GO:    [ UTEP Home Page ]    [ Catalog Index ]    [ Admission Contents ]    [ Graduate Degrees ]    [ University Map ]


  • General Information
  • Admission into the
       Graduate School

  • Acceptance into the
       Graduate School

  • Acceptance into a Graduate Program

    Web site at: http://www.utep.edu/graduate

    1.- General Information
    2.- Incomplete Admission File

    3.- Post Baccalaureate Programs
    4.- Post Baccalaureate Admission
    5.- Post-Master's Nursing
    6.- MBA PLUS Program
    7.- Reserving Courses for Graduate Credit
    8.- Re-admission into Graduate School
    4.- Post Baccalaureate Admission

    An individual who has received a baccalaureate degree but who does not wish to apply for admission into a graduate degree program may apply for admission as a post-baccalaureate student. This type of admission is available to individuals who:

    1. are not seeking a graduate degree and wish to enroll in courses to enrich their educational background;
    2. intend to enter a graduate program at some future date, but need a substantial number of hours of prerequisite course work;
    3. wish to obtain teacher certification or endorsement; or post-master's endorsement.

    Interested individuals must complete the Application for Post-Baccalaureate Admission and must submit to the Graduate Student Services Office an official transcript with the baccalaureate degree posted. If several institutions were attended, an official transcript is required from each institution from which junior/senior, and any graduate level credit was earned. UTEP transcripts are not required of students who received their baccalaureate degree from UTEP.

    Post-baccalaureate admission is not available to international students who need a student visa (I-20) to attend school in the United States unless approved by the International Programs Office.

    Admission as a post-baccalaureate student does not constitute admission into a graduate degree program of the Graduate School. An individual who wishes to apply for admission into a graduate degree program must complete the pplication for Admission into a Graduate Program and provide the documents described under "Admission into a Graduate Program."

    Post-baccalaureate students may register for graduate courses only with the permission of the graduate advisor for the graduate program to which the courses belong. However, no more than nine semester hours of courses taken prior to acceptance or conditional acceptance to the Graduate School may be approved for use toward a graduate degree. Such approval is given only for courses with a grade of B or better upon the recommendation of the graduate advisor.

    Initial teacher certification and professional certification for classroom teachers can also be earned. Eligibility for these programs includes a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average from an accredited college or university, successful completion of the TASP (Texas Academic Skills program), and development of an approved plan of study.

    Eligible applicants for certification and endorsement programs will be notified that they may enroll as non-degree students but will need to contact the Certification Office in the College of Education immediately for eligibility into one of several certification or endorsement programs.

    The Certification Office and the College of Education are responsible for course scheduling and may require a minimum enrollment per term for admitted students. This Office additionally will develop a plan of study for each student in keeping with the requirements set forth by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). The certification or endorsement will be earned upon successful completion of all requirements.

    Graduate-level course work completed during the certification or endorsement program that has not been used to meet other degree requirements may be recommended by the departmental Graduate Advisor to the Graduate school to count towards an advanced degree under certain circumstances. These courses are limited to a maximum of nine (9) semester hours in which the grade of B or higher has been earned within the time limits and other restrictions detailed in this Graduate Studies catalog.

    Additional information on certification and endorsement programs is available from the Certification Office within the College of Education and the Graduate School.


      [top of page]

    The University of Texas at El Paso
    Developed by the UTEP Web Development Team
    Revised: February 19, 2001