GO:    [ UTEP Home Page ]    [ Catalog Index ]    [ College of Science ]    [ Core Curriculum ]    [ University Map ]


  • College Information
  • Biological Sciences
  • Chemistry
  • Geological Sciences
  • Mathematical Sciences
  • Physics
    Dr. Thomas E. Brady,
    Dr. Larry P. Jones,
    Associate Dean
    Dr. Pablo Arenaz,
    Associate Dean for
    Entering Students
    Dr. Jorge A. Lopez,
    Assistant Dean Bell Hall, Room 100
    Phone: (915) 747-5536
    Fax: (915) 747-6807
    E-mail: science@utep.edu

  • College Information
    1.- Intoduction
    2.- Undergraduate Programs
    3.- Departamental Honors Programs
    4.- Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
    5.- Major Fields
    6.- Advising
    7.- Preprofessional Advice
    8.- Secondary Teacher Certification
    9.- Degree Plans
    10.- Lower-Division Courses
    11.- Upper Division Courses
    12.- Interdisiplinary Degrees
    13.- Interdisiplinary Courses

    Secondary Teacher Certification

    The College of Science encourages students to consider teaching in the secondary schools as a career goal. This is in the college's self interest. It is assumed that better prepared teachers will result in better prepared freshmen who enroll in college. Certification for teaching in the secondary schools is available in the following BS degree fields: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Science, Mathematics, and Physics. The College of Science also offers interdisciplinary degrees in Life/Earth Sciences (biology and geology), Natural Sciences (science composite-biology, chemistry, geology, and physics), and Physical Sciences (chemistry and physics), which lead to secondary certification. School systems especially seek those with interdisciplinary degrees since they are prepared to teach different subjects.

    Students planning to teach mathematics or science may also obtain certification with a BA degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Physics (offered by the College of Liberal Arts). In addition, those who already hold a baccalaureate degree in mathematics or a science may obtain secondary teacher certification in the College of Education. See the College of Education section of this catalog for details on these programs. Students of mathematics and the sciences considering teaching should inform themselves on these options and decide which is best for them.

    Minors in Secondary Education Secondary certification requires a minor in Secondary Education. The B.S. in Mathematics requires an additional minor, while other fields of certification require only the minor in Secondary Education. Secondary Education minors for B.S. degrees for Mathematics or Science consist of 21 semester hours. The following courses are required for these minors:

      EDPC 3300 Developmental Variations
      RED 3342 Reading and Study in the Content Areas
      SCED 3311 Curriculum Planning in the Secondary School
      SCED 3317 Multicultural Education in the Secondary School
      SCED 4691 Student Teaching in the Secondary School.
    The minor for mathematics students includes
      SCED 4367 Teaching Math in Secondary School
    Whereas the minor for science students includes
      SCED 4368 Teaching Science in Secondary School

    In addition, the speech component of the University Core Curriculum is restricted to COMM 1301 and the humanities component is restricted to an English literature course for minors in Secondary Education.

    Directly Supporting Fields

    A 12-credit directly supporting field is also required for certification if the teaching field is a single discipline. By their nature, interdiscipline degrees (Life/Earth, Natural, and Physical Sciences) do not require a supporting field. The directly supporting field (not the major) may be selected from the following: Basic Business, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Mathematics, or Physics. Supporting fields other than these must be approved in the Office of the Dean of Science. The supporting field requirement is met by completing 12 semester hours selected from courses approved for a minor in one of the above areas. A minor other than Secondary Education will satisfy this requirement, and Physics majors may use the required courses in mathematics for the supporting field.

    Admission to Secondary Teacher Education

    The College of Education secondary education professional development program consists mainly of two semesters of blocked courses, normally taken during the student's last year of course work. In order to enroll in these courses, a student must be admitted to secondary teacher education, which requires the following:

    1. Credit for ENGL 1311, 1312, and COMM 1301 with a "C" or better
    2. Credit for MATH 1508 (or 1409 or higher) with a "C" or better
    3. Completion of a minimum of 60 hours of college courses with a minimum overall GPA of 2.5

    Application for admission to the program is to be filed in the College of Education Student Services Office, EDUC 412. Additional requirements may be found in the College of Education section of this catalog.

    Secondary Teacher Preparation Programs

    Students preparing to teach are advised to carefully plan their last two years of course work. COMM 1301 is required for application to the secondary teacher preparation program, so the course should be completed early. After admission, the present plan is that the courses EDPC 3300, RED 3342, SCED 3311, and SCED 3317 must be enrolled in concurrently as Field Based Block I. Students in this program must block out either 8 AM to 12 PM or 12 PM to 4 PM Monday through Friday for this part of the program because field experiences in secondary schools are required in addition to the course work. Normally, students in morning blocks may enroll in afternoon laboratories or those in afternoon blocks may only enroll in morning lecture sections. This often requires prudent planning of upper-division majors course selection since it is not assured which block one may be forced to enroll in.

    Field Based Block II consists of SCED 4691 and students are interns in secondary schools from 8 AM to 3:30 PM every school day, demanding that any additional courses be in the evening. SCED 4367 and SCED 4368 are often offered in the evening, which finishes the teacher preparation program. It is almost impossible to complete upper-division majors courses during this semester.

    Minors Outside the College of Science

    Approved College of Science minors of Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics are detailed in the academic department sections of this catalog. These minors are approved minors for the B.S. in Psychology. In addition to these minors, the following minors outside the College of Science are approved for the listed B.S. degrees:

    Accounting (B.S. in Applied Mathematics and Mathematics) See the College of Business Administration section of this catalog.

    Anthropology (B.S. in Biological Sciences, Earth Science, and Geological Sciences) See the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, College of Liberal Arts section of this catalog.

    Computer Science (B.S. in Applied Mathematics, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Geological Sciences, Mathematics, and Psychology) CS 1401 (or CS 1420); CS 3333 (or CS 2401 and CS 2302); CS 3350, and six semester hours selected from CS 3335, CS 3360, CS 4342, or CS 4352.

    Economics (B.S. in Applied Mathematics and Mathematics) See the College of Business Administration section of this catalog.

    Environmental Science (B.S. in Chemistry) BIOL 1305, BIOL 1106, BIOL 3414; CE 3325, CE 4390; and an additional course selected from GEOL 4380, GEOL 4384, or MICR 3328- MICR 3128. (The additional science, not the major of minor, cannot include BIOL 1305- BIOL 1106.)

    General Business (B.S. in Mathematics) See the College of Business Administration section of this catalog.

    Management (B.S. in Mathematics) See the College of Business Administration section of this catalog.

    Psychology (B.S. in Biological Sciences) See the Department of Psychology, College of Liberal Arts section of this Catalog. ( PSYC 1303 is waived if STAT 2380, STAT 2182, and STAT 2381 are completed with a "C" or better.)

    Secondary Education/Mathematics (B.S. in Mathematics) See above.

    Secondary Education/Science (B.S. in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Science, Life/Earth Sciences, Natural Sciences, Physical Sciences, or Physics) See above.


      [top of page]

    The University of Texas at El Paso
    Developed by the UTEP Web Development Team
    Revised: February 26, 2001