State Authorization

Each state and territory in the United States has its own legislation related to distance education that institutions offering online courses must adhere to. Regulations can differ depending on the type of institution, program type, program requirements including internships and clinicals, and even instructor qualifications. The University of Texas at El Paso is committed to complying with state authorization rules and regulations in every state from which it enrolls online programs.

Currently all UTEP Connect courses which do not require an on-the-ground clinical component are authorized and can be offered in each of the states and territories. As noted previously, programs that require clinical components, or professional licensure can require additional authorization, but even so, there are only a handful of states where programs with clinical components are not yet authorized. 

Below is a table that summarizes the status of UTEP’s authorizations by state and by program. The process for obtaining necessary state exemptions, approvals, licensures, or authorizations is ongoing, and students should check back frequently for updates.

Prospective students who are residents of a state in which UTEP has not yet obtained authorization should not seek admission to or enroll in an online degree program from the University. Also, program admission at the time of acceptance is dependent upon the student’s physical location at the time of admission. Should a student change location prior to completion of the program, continuation in the program is contingent upon program availability in the student’s new location. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the university in the event of a change in their physical location.

Any questions about state authorization may be addressed to a UTEP Connect enrollment counselor at ­­­­­­­­­­­­­1-800-684-UTEP.

Disclaimer: The University of Texas at El Paso cannot confirm whether any particular course or program meets requirements for professional licensure in any state other than Texas. If you are planning to apply for licensure in a state other than Texas after completion of your program, you may contact that state's appropriate licensing board to determine whether the UTEP program meets licensure requirements in that state.

*All out-of-state authorizations are achieved through the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement.
UTEP has been approved by the State of Texas to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Institutions that join NC-SARA are held to the national standard in each member state rather than the individual state’s regulations, thus making authorization of distance education more streamlined.