General Transfer Information

  • We would like to take this time to welcome you to UTEP and into the College of Liberal Arts Family. We are here for you and wish you the best as you start this new chapter in your life. For more information you may visit the College of Liberal Arts Student Success Center in Liberal Arts, Room 302 or call them at 915-747-5588.

    The most successful transfer is one that you are prepared for. When presented with a list of available options, meet with your advisor to determine which courses are specific to your major. Consult with your major advisor at your new institution often.

    If you feel lost or unsure about a major, assess your skills, strengths and weaknesses. Look at your hobbies and the things you like to do and convert that passion into a college path. Investigate jobs that interest you, even though you may not have the current credentials or knowledge. Get others to help you assess your strengths and weaknesses.

    • An associate’s degree is not required to transfer to UTEP. Therefore, students can get started on their Bachelor’s Degree sooner, after completing their core curriculum (Basics) which is generally 43-45 hours.

    • UTEP will look at the courses you took and the grades you earned.

    • UTEP will determine which credit courses will transfer. (Each course is worth a certain number of credits.)

    • If you have a sufficient number of approved transfer courses, you’ll start at UTEP as a junior. (This is contingent on the pursued degree.)

    • If you don’t get credit for some of your courses, they may be evaluated at the college level through the Dean’s Office to see if they could potentially count towards other areas of your degree plan. (This is done on a case-by-case basis; however, keep in mind that 4 year universities require that a certain number of credits must be completed at the junior/senior level and those courses are only available at UTEP.)

    • The University of Texas at El Paso may use up to 66 transfer credit hours from a 2 year institution towards your degree.

    • For general transfer information for the College of Liberal Arts, please visit the College of Liberal Arts Student Success Center (CLASS) located at Room 302, Liberal Arts Building (915-747-5588) or visit the College of Liberal Arts representative on Wednesday afternoons at the Student Service Center-S16 office A-1427 Valle Verde Campus.