About the College
The College of Business Administration (COBA) at The University of Texas at El Paso shares with the University its fundamental mission to provide the highest quality education to the citizens of El Paso and the West Texas region, in accordance with AACSB International standards for business education. The border location of the University and the expertise developed by the faculty affords opportunities for students to become competitive in a global business environment.
COBA is committed to providing the widest possible access to quality higher education to allow our students to become competitive on a local, regional, national, and international level. Therefore, the goal of the College is to provide:
- Broad-based programs which give students the background necessary for entry into, and advancement in, professional and managerial positions;
- Life-long learning for career success and for responsible stewardship of our cultural, economic, and environmental resources;
- Intellectual contributions that extend the boundaries of knowledge, enhance the transfer of knowledge to students, and improve application of existing knowledge to regional, national and international environments;
- Service that contributes to the personal and professional betterment of our students, the University, alumni, community, and academia.
Our quality is reflected in the success of our students, alumni, and faculty and in the enhancement of the personal and professional lives of regions’ residents.
COBA Degree Programs
UTEP College of Business Administration, the only AACSB-accredited business school in the El Paso-Juarez region, offers quality academic programs that prepare students to enter the business world one step ahead of the rest.
COBA grants degrees in the following academic programs:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Science in Economics (MSE)
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc)
PhDin Business Administration
COBA by the numbers:
- Faculty – 60 full-time faculty organized into 10 research and teaching groups: Accounting, Business Law, Economics, Finance, Information Systems, International and Cross-Border Business, Management, Marketing, Operations and Supply Chain Management, and Quantitative Methods and Analysis.
- Staff – 40 staff organized across academic programs, research centers, and the dean’s office
- Students – approximately 3000 students enrolled in COBA’s graduate and undergraduate degree programs.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Ranked “Best of the Best MBA Programs” by Professional Woman’s, Hispanic Network and Black EOE Journal magazines since 2014
- MBA Program ranked #1 by Hispanic Business Magazine for five consecutive years.
- Ranked #1 Graduate Program in Nation by Excelencia in Education 2012
- Selected with Dartmouth, Northwestern, and the University of Maryland by Public Relations Society of America for National Pilot Program in Strategic Communications Curriculum
- In Diverse Magazine’s 2014 Issue in Higher Education, COBA was ranked 3rd in Finance, 5th in Accounting and Marketing, 6th in Management
COBA is committed to ensuring that UTEP BBA students have the best possible opportunity to graduate with the skills and capabilities to be successful in a dynamic and globally competitive business environment. To that end, COBA is partnering with global industry leaders including ADP, Lockheed Martin, and Prudential to offer Corporate Academies that integrate specialized courses, industry-specific technologies, and co-curricular activities. COBA students who participate in these Corporate Academies will be uniquely prepared for challenging careers in a number of high-demand business fields.
Top Employers of COBA Students and Graduates
|Delphi Automotive Systems|
|El Paso Electric|
|Helen of Troy|
|Johnson & Johnson|
|JP Morgan Chase Bank|
|Proctor & Gamble|
|Tenet Healthcare Corporation|
|University Medical Center|
UTEP offers the only AACSB Accredited business programs in the El Paso border region. The UTEP College of Business Administration has earned AACSB Accreditation for both its Business Administration and Accounting programs. Less than 5 percent of business schools