COBA’s student-focused mission depends on its ability to provide relevant, real-world experiences both in and out of the classroom. For this reason, COBA’s Alumni Chapter Board of Directors decided to launch COBA’s very first Mentorship Program in Fall 2013.
This mentoring program offers a select group of business and corporate leaders the opportunity to participate in the continued development of students and young alumni. It also provides the mentees with a “real world” perspective in the fast-paced and highly competitive business marketplace.
Participating in this program gives an opportunity to help to shape the careers of tomorrow’s business leaders and awards the satisfaction of being associated with an outstanding peer group. The program lasts for 8 months over the academic school year and runs from September through April.
We are currently looking for mentors to become part of this program to share their professional experience and career advice with an elite group of highly motivated graduate students and young working alumni.
Objectives of the COBA Mentorship Program
- Internal focus: To aid our mentees in personal and professional development
- External focus: To educate our mentees on industry, career paths, and personal mistakes/victories
- To give career direction/clarity and to provide the student an opportunity for networking, candid advice, and career counseling
- To assist in potential job leads, to develop students in ways that class-work cannot, and to provide guidance and insight into the corporate world
- To provide experienced coaching, teaching, and mentoring to students in general areas as well as their specific concentration
- To provide mentors with the opportunity to interact with graduate students and help develop the leaders of the future
- To provide mentors the opportunity to give back to COBA and their community
- To develop a contact base in the local business community, to provide COBA with another conduit through which to build and maintain relationships with area corporations, and to grow COBA’s network globally
Being a Mentor Requires:
- A commitment from you to be in contact with your mentee at a minimum of 5 times during the endurance of your partnership. In an effort to ensure that the mentor relationship is fruitful, we ask that you ensure your availability to commit to the specified number of meetings before joining the program.
- Completing the online Two-Minute Mentor Questionnaire regarding your contact information and areas of expertise.
- Completing the Goal-Setting worksheet with your mentee during your first meeting together and signing liability/non-disclosure agreement and returning it to Bill Conwell via e-mail or fax.
- Completing a brief online end-of-program evaluation survey.
The COBA Mentorship Program is currently open to COBA Full-Time MBA candidates. To participate in the COBA Mentorship Program students must:
- Be enrolled as a Full-Time MBA.
- Complete mentee application online and submit resume to Bill Conwell at email@example.com.
- Commit to fulfilling your responsibilities in the program, including initiating contact with your mentor throughout the program and meeting with your mentor in person a minimum of 5 times during the endurance of your partnership, attending various meetings with mentors, and attending COBA networking events.
- Be in good academic standing and agree to represent COBA in a professional manner throughout your participation.
- Be enthusiastic about the program and the opportunity to develop your networking and communication skills.
For more information please contact:
- Automatic Data Processing (ADP)
- AXA Advisors
- City Bank of Texas
- City of El Paso
- Creative Kids Art
- Currey Adkins, LP
- El Paso Electric Company
- El Paso Water Utilities
- Emergence Health Network
- Federal Reserve Bank - El Paso Branch
- Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest
- Goodwill Industries
- Las Palmas del Sol Hospital
- Mid-West Textile Co.
- Sanders\Wingo Advertising
- Sierra Medial Center and Providence Memorial Hospital
- Stackpole Electronics
- Strategic Wealth Advisors
- The Boeing Company
- Upper RIo Grande Workforce Solutions
- UTEP - Hunt Institute for Global Competitiveness