Requirements for Admission
Prerequisite Course Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree is required prior to the start of the program. The Required Prerequisites Course List is listed below. Note that a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on four point scale, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in prerequisite courses is required.
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required, and while there is no minimum score required, the score will be considered in the competitive admissions process. International students must take the TOEFL examination. Also, 50 clock hours of volunteer or paid experience in a physical therapy setting is required and must be supervised by a licensed physical therapist.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Completion of a Bachelor degree from an accredited educational institution prior to the start of the program.
- Completed application package for the Physical Therapy Program, submitted through PTCAS by the set deadline.
- Payment of $45.00 "Non-refundable" application fee. To be paid here Application Fee.
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges attended must be sent to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) Official Scores must be reported to UTEP's PTCAS GRE code through ETS by the set deadline. UTEP GRE CODE IS 8837
- Completion of 38 semester hours of required prerequisite courses prior to start of the program.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for prerequisite courses.
- Fifty (50) clock hours of documented volunteer or paid work experience in a physical therapy setting under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist reported to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- One recommendation from a physical therapist who supervised your work or volunteer experience submitted to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- Two recommendations from individuals concerning the attributes which qualify you for this program submitted to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- Completion of TOEFL sent to PTCAS by the set deadline (Required of International Student, minimum score determined by the Graduate School).
NOTE: To engage in clinical rotations, which are a crucial element in the curriculum, all students in the Physical Therapy Program must undergo and pass a background check and drug screen prior to matriculation. Applicants will be responsible for the costs of obtaining a background check report and drug screen. Also, students are required to obtain immunization required by the state of Texas and clinical affiliates. Information is available at the College of Health Sciences Compliance Web site.
Prerequisite Course Requirements
Course requirements are listed in semester credit hours
- 8 hours Biological sciences with labs (not Botany)
- 8 hours in General Chemistry with labs
- 8 hours in General Physics with labs
- 4 hours in anatomy with lab & 4 hours in physiology with lab
- OR a two-course sequence (8 h
r.) in anatomy and physiology with labs
- 3 hours in Psychology
- 3 hours Statistics (should include ANOVA)
Recommended courses (not required for admission, but may contribute to success in physical therapy education): Exercise Physiology, Medical Terminology, Public Speaking course (or participate in Toastmasters)
Completion of the above requirements makes a student eligible for selection but does not guarantee admission to the Physical Therapy Program. The final selection is competitive.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Overall GPA, Prerequisite GPA, last 60 hours GPA and GRE scores.
- Quality of answers to the essay questions on the PTCAS application.
- Quality of letters of recommendations.
- Quality of the application.