Requirements for Admission
Prerequisite Course Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree is required prior to admission. The Required Prerequisites Course List is listed below. Note that a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on four point scale, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in prerequisite courses is required.
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required, and while there is no minimum score required, the score will be considered in the competitive admissions process. International students must take the TOEFL examination. Also, 50 clock hours of volunteer or paid experience in a physical therapy setting is required and must be supervised by a licensed physical therapist.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Completion of a Bachelor degree from an accredited educational institution prior to admission.
- Completed application package for the Physical Therapy Program, submitted through PTCAS by the set deadline.
- Payment of $45.00 "Non-refundable" application fee. To be paid here Application Fee.
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges attended must be sent to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) Official Scores must be reported to UTEP's PTCAS GRE code through ETS by the set deadline.
- Completion of 38 semester hours of required prerequisite courses prior to admission.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for prerequisite courses.
- Fifty (50) clock hours of documented volunteer or paid work experience in a physical therapy setting under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist reported to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- One recommendation from a physical therapist who supervised your work or volunteer experience submitted to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- Two recommendations from individuals concerning the attributes which qualify you for this program submitted to PTCAS by the set deadline.
- Completion of TOEFL sent to PTCAS by the set deadline (Required of International Student, minimum score determined by the Graduate School).
NOTE: To engage in clinical rotations, which are a crucial element in the curriculum, all students in the Physical Therapy Program must undergo and pass a background check and drug screen prior to matriculation. Applicants will be responsible for the costs of obtaining a background check report and drug screen. Also, students are required to obtain immunization required by the state of Texas and clinical affiliates. Information is available at the College of Health Sciences Compliance Web site.
Prerequisite Course Requirements
Doctor of Physical Therapy Degree Program
- 8 semester credit hours Biological sciences with labs (not Botany)
- 8 semester credit hours in General Chemistry with labs
- 8 semester credit hours in General Physics with labs
- 4 semester credit hours in anatomy with lab & 4 semester credit hours in physiology with lab
- OR a two-course sequence (8
cr.) in anatomy and physiology with labs
- 3 semester credit hours in Psychology
- 3 semester credit hours Statistics (should include ANOVA)
See prerequisite course examples below.
Recommended courses (not required for admission, but may contribute to success in physical therapy education): Exercise Physiology, Medical Terminology, Public Speaking course (or participate in Toastmasters)
Completion of the above requirements makes a student eligible for selection but does not guarantee admission to the Physical Therapy Program. The final selection is competitive.
Pre-Requisite Course Examples
|Semester Hours||Subject||UTEP Course Number|
|8||Biology Science Major Level w/ Labs||
BIOL 1305/ 1107 & either BIOL 1306/ 1108 or ZOOL 2406
Not Flora classes
|8||General Chemistry w/ Labs||CHEM 1305/1105 & CHEM 1306/1106
Or CHEM 1407 & 1408
|8||General Physics w/ Labs||
PHYS 1403 &
OR a two-course sequence (8
BIOL 2311/2111 AND 2313/2113
|3||Psychology||PSYC 1301 Or
PSYC 2310 Or
|3||Statistics Should include ANOVA, prefer psychology or education based course||PSYC 1303
It is the student’s responsibility to determine if transfer courses are equivalent. You can look up courses here.