Dean and Endowed Chair of the College of Health Sciences
The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) seeks a dynamic and visionary leader for the College of Health Sciences. The Dean will have exceptional opportunities to strengthen and shape how the College of Health Sciences contributes to America's leading Hispanic-Serving University. This appointment will be eligible for a substantial endowed chair in the role of Dean. Through the development of a supportive research and education infrastructure, the recruitment of talented faculty, the engagement of community partners, and a strong commitment to student success, the College of Health Sciences has built a portfolio of degree programs that prepares diverse students for challenging health care careers, and has developed engaged programs of research that make a difference in the local and global community. The next Dean will play a critical role in the University's new strategic plan, provide leadership and direction for the future of the College, and will ensure the highest standards of quality in health sciences education, service, and research.
Dean of College of Health Sciences
The Dean is the chief academic officer and administrative leader of the College of Health Sciences, and serves as a key member of the University leadership team, reporting directly to the Provost. Working collaboratively with faculty and staff to advance the College's mission, the Dean will represent the College within the University and among a wide range of external constituencies. The Dean will continue to promote UTEP's highly acclaimed access, excellence, and impact mission, strengthen collaborations with community partners, and build on existing research and scholarship to promote excellence in education and research at UTEP. The Dean will be responsible for development efforts with external partners, as well as alumni and other donors, in support of the goals of the College.
Minimum expectations for the successful candidate are:
- An earned doctorate degree or equivalent, interdisciplinary experience, and qualifications commensurate with appointment as a tenured full professor
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership and management indicative of innovative approaches, and the ability to make clear and informed decisions
- Superior communication skills, political adroitness, and the capacity to represent the College effectively to local, national, and international constituencies
- A history of quantifiable success in external and alumni relations and asset development for a large, complex organization
- A record that demonstrates a meaningful commitment to, and accomplishment in, advancing diversity and inclusion, and community engaged scholarship and practice
- A dedication to the core values of the University
Desirable qualities in a successful candidate for Dean of the UTEP College of Health Sciences include:
- Progressive, administrative leadership at the departmental chair level or higher
- Evidence of academic excellence
- Record of scholarly activity, including peer-reviewed publications and external funding
- Demonstrated support of faculty and staff development
- An open and inclusive leadership style, partnering with and motivating faculty, staff, and students to take the College to a heightened level of success
- A clear understanding of leading-edge methods and instructional technologies to support teaching and learning
- Demonstrated appreciation for high-impact educational practices
- Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary collaborations
The University of Texas at El Paso is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity in employment or the provision of services.