Dean of College of Liberal Arts
The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) seeks a dynamic and visionary leader for the College of Liberal Arts. The Dean will have exceptional opportunities to promote access to excellent education and research at UTEP, America’s leading Hispanic-Serving university. The Dean will play a critical role in leading the College to provide students an excellent and engaged education in an inclusive university that builds on student strengths and demonstrates a culture of care.
The Dean is the chief academic officer and administrative leader of the College and serves as a key member of the University leadership team. Working collaboratively with faculty and staff to advance the College's mission, the Dean will represent the College’s faculty, students, and staff within the University and among a wide range of external constituencies. Working with the Associate Deans, the Dean will lead the College of Liberal Arts team, to include the Department Chairs and Program Directors, Advisers, and many other supporting staff. The Dean has financial and administrative management responsibility for the College, guides and oversees its annual operating budget, and leads its advancement/development efforts. To ensure the College of Liberal Arts' continued growth and distinction, the next Dean will be expected to prioritize several key opportunities:
- Elevating the profile of the College of Liberal Arts by developing a compelling vision and strategic direction for the College, particularly over the next 5-10 years
- Cultivating a community presence that is open and accessible to our many students who are first in their families to pursue higher education, while adapting to shifting enrollment trends
- Advancing research, scholarship, and artistic expression with an emphasis on areas of current and emerging strength
- Developing a strategic financial plan, including the implementation of entrepreneurial initiatives and identification of new revenue streams
- Reinforcing a culture of care through student engagement, faculty and staff development, and community engagement
- Leading innovative approaches to the expansion and support of high-impact practices within the curriculum and co-curriculum
- Promoting diversity, equity, access, and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students
- Strengthening our engagement with El Paso's regional business, non-profit, and military community to foster well-being and economic development in our community
- Developing strategic partnerships for friend-raising and fundraising in support of the College’s goals
- Collaborating with partners across the University to consider flexible curricular pathways, distance-enabled courses, and innovative educational approaches
- Leveraging the unique binational character of our place and building upon the unique diversity of our people
The College of Liberal Arts seeks an inspiring, intellectual, and entrepreneurial leader to set the College on a dynamic course for the future.
Minimum requirements are:
- qualifications commensurate with appointment as a tenured full professor in a field in the Liberal Arts including a terminal degree appropriate to the discipline;
- a record of success as a faculty member or administrator at a research institution;
- proven skill to administer the promotion and tenure process, faculty hiring, faculty appointments, and retention;
- a record that shows a meaningful commitment to, and demonstrated accomplishment in, advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- experience working closely and collaboratively with senior leadership and establishing strong working relationships with university and community stakeholders;
- the ability to use data to inform decisions and develop new initiatives, while understanding context and working within the shared governance structure;
- respect for the disciplines within the social and behavioral sciences, the humanities, and the fine and performing arts, as well as the ability to work effectively with faculty across these fields to facilitate relationships for research and teaching;
- superior communication skills, political adeptness, and the capacity to represent the College effectively to local, national, and international constituencies; and;
- a deep passion for student success and the student experience.
The most successful candidates for Dean of the UTEP College of Liberal Arts will also have these skills and attributes:
- a record of providing direction and advocacy for research and creative endeavors, particularly related to grant, contract, and research activities;
- an open and consultative leadership style, partnering with and motivating faculty, staff, and students to take the College to a heightened level of success;
- an ability to orchestrate successful engagement with external funding agencies and sponsors;
- a clear understanding of leading-edge methods and instructional technologies to support teaching and learning in face-to-face and online settings;
- a critical, strategic, creative thinker and problem solver;
- ability to influence people positively and be a catalyst for progress;
- a record of success as an administrator in a complex organization with experience leading staff in an office environment; and
- an appreciation for the bilingual, multicultural nature of a border community.
In keeping with its Access and Excellence mission, the University of Texas at El Paso is committed to an open, diverse, and inclusive learning and working environment that honors the talents, respects the differences, and nurtures the growth and development of all. We seek to attract faculty and staff who share our commitment.