The Dean is the chief academic officer and administrative leader, and serves as a key member of the University leadership team. Working collaboratively with faculty and staff to advance the College’s mission, the Dean will represent the College within the University and among a wide range of external constituencies. The Dean will continue to promote UTEP’s highly acclaimed access and excellence mission, strengthen existing research and scholarship, build on existing interdisciplinary research to promote excellence in education and research and support UTEP’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Dean will be responsible for development efforts in support of the goals of the College, with external partners as well as alumni and other donors.
As the leader of the College, the Dean sets the academic climate, promotes a culture of outstanding research and innovation, and represents its faculty, students, and staff to the University and beyond. The College’s department chairs, associate deans, and some college staff report directly to the Dean. The Dean has financial and administrative management responsibility for the College, guides and oversees its annual operating budget, and leads its development efforts. The Dean’s charge also includes providing effective leadership for the College’s faculty and administrative staff. To ensure the College of Engineering’s continued growth and distinction, the next Dean will be expected to place high on her/his agenda several key opportunities:
- Developing a compelling vision and strategic direction for the College. The next Dean of the College of Engineering will be a critical player in crafting a strategic plan for the College that aligns with and contributes to UTEP’s Strategic Plan.
- Communicating the College’s vision to numerous and varied audiences and constituencies.
- Developing a tactical plan for financial resources and their foci. In addition to managing currently available resources, the next Dean will explore the development of entrepreneurial initiatives and new revenue streams.
- Creating a positive, cooperative climate conducive to inclusion and achievement. The new Dean will stress high academic standards while leading the College in diversification efforts, providing opportunities for growth for students and faculty.
- Cultivating a community presence that is open and accessible to our many students who are first in their families to pursue higher education. The Dean will also provide visibility and support, and thereby enhance the “school of choice” image for local talent.
The College of Engineering seeks an experienced and entrepreneurial leader to set it on a dynamic course for the future. The new Dean will bring high academic standards, an outstanding record of research, and strong management and leadership skills. Minimum requirements are:
- Qualifications commensurate with appointment as a tenured full professor in the College;
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership and management, indicative of innovative approaches and the ability to make clear, informed decisions;
- A record that shows a meaningful commitment to, and demonstrated accomplishment in, issues associated with advancing diversity, equity and inclusion;
- A record of quantifiable success in developing resources and fundraising for a large, complex organization; and
- Superior communication skills, political adeptness, and the capacity to represent the College effectively to local, national, and international constituencies
Key attributes in a successful candidate for Dean of the UTEP College of Engineering:
- Dedication to the mission and vision of UTEP and the College; a commitment to access and excellence
- An open and consultative leadership style, partnering with and motivating faculty, staff, and students to take the College to a heightened level of success
- A demonstrated track record of accomplishments that exhibits a balanced commitment to academic excellence
- A record of success as an academic administrator in a similar organization
- A clear understanding of leading-edge methods and instructional technologies to support teaching and learning
- Enthusiastic support of student success and advocacy for partners’ support and sponsorship of student design and research projects