Professional Development Opportunity: Artificial Intelligence and Careers in Tech Discover AI Program
Application Deadline Extended!
Discover AI is a virtual program that offers a hands-on introduction to computer science and artificial intelligence.
What is AI4ALL Discover AI?
- Discover AI is a virtual program in partnership with UTEP CS that offers a hands-on introduction to computer science and artificial intelligence (AI), ethical issues surrounding AI implementation, and tech careers. There is no cost to participate.
- Students that complete the program will emerge with actionable next steps in pursuing an academic or career path in AI - and the opportunity to continue in the following semester to our second program, Apply AI and direct mentorship from industry leader in the AI and tech industry.
Why should students consider the AI4ALL Discover AI program?
- At the end of the program, participants receive an AI4ALL Discover AI certificate of completion.
- Students that complete Discover AI will be invited to opt-in to Apply AI in the following semester - which takes the concepts found in Discover AI further, and involves working with industry mentors currently working in the AI industry on an AI-specific project.
- To unlock access to our industry partners that support AI4ALL by mentoring and guiding College Pathways students from companies like Google, Capital One, Facebook, Slalom Consulting, Accenture, Pearson, and more.
- Students that complete the programs have access to Changemakers - AI4ALL’s career development program to find an internship in AI and guide you in your professional journey in AI.
As part of the program, students collaborate on an AI/Machine Learning project based on real life applications of AI that the students find curious. In the past, students have researched:
- The impacts of machine learning algorithms in Spotify on the listener's experience and a musician's decision-making
- The positive and potential negative role of AI in calculating length of stays at hospitals post illness or surgery
- The use of AI algorithms and facial recognition in the hiring process
When does Discover AI run for Fall 2022?
The Discover AI program runs for 10 weeks starting in September.
- Program Launch: September 22, 2022
- End of Program Project Showcase: December 1, 2022
- Weekly Meeting Time: 6:00 p.m.- 7:30 p.m. MT
- Meets synchronously - weekly on Tuesdays
- Virtual program planned with very minimal in-person elements on campus possible
- A Teaching Assistant (Graduate CS Student) will be available at UTEP to help you succeed in the program.
- If you're a Computer Science major,the program is a great supplement to your existing course work and provides an additional perspective to what you are learning in your major by helping you build a fundamental framework to consider for a more sustainable and ethical AI implementation.
- If your major is NOT Computer Science, we welcome you as well! If accepted, you will have the opportunity to learn more about artificial intelligence in a safe and thoughtful environment that offers you the opportunity to consider AI as a future career option. In addition, you will have the chance to apply concepts of your own major (Biology, Economics, etc.) to the AI field by collaborating with peers on an AI project.