About the Campaign
¡Bienvenidos! is a UTEP Edge campaign to articulate and elevate a campus culture of student belonging, engagement, and lifelong success. Consider using these conversation starters before you visit with your professor(s) or faculty advisors, to help you build a positive, professional relationship with them. By communicating with your professors both in and beyond the classroom, you can improve your academic performance, explore ideas related to your discipline or career, and identify all of the opportunities and resources UTEP has to offer you.
• What type of work can I get with my major?
• What type of experiences or opportunities do you recommend I get involved in to help me prepare for my career/graduate school?
• I would like to apply for this opportunity, would you consider writing a letter of recommendation for me?
• How did you balance college, work, and life?
• How did you know you wanted to be a professor?
Student Campus Resources
Campus Wayfinding and Transportation
Career and Professional Development
Emergency Aid & Financial Services
Center for Community Engagement
Entering Student Program
Graduate Student Assembly
Fraternity & Sorority
Military Student Success Center
Student Engagement & Leadership
University Honors Program
Health & Wellness
24/7 Crisis Line: (915) 747-5302
Counseling and Psychological Services
Financial and Social Support Services
Foster Homeless Adopted Resources (FHAR)
Make a Student Referral
Responding to Suicidal Concerns
Student Behavioral Intervention Team
Tutoring & Learning
Tech Support & Equipment Checkout
Assistive Technology Lab
Computer Clinic (Cost-free computer support)
Group Study Rooms
High-End Mac Workstations
Video Conference Room
About the Campaign
¡Bienvenidos! is a UTEP Edge campaign to articulate and elevate a campus culture of student belonging, engagement, and lifelong success.
By communicating with faculty both in and beyond the classroom, students will:
- Improve their academic performance and degree completion
- Increase understanding of their disciplines and related career options
- Explore ideas and identify all of the opportunities and resources UTEP has to offer them
- Faculty-student interactions have a positive effect on both cognitive and emotional student development, as well as student satisfaction (Astin, 1993, 1977).
- The increase of faculty-student interactions improve career choice, personal growth, and student persistence (Kuh, Douglas, Lund, and Ramin-Gyurnek, 1994).
- Faculty-student interactions outside the classroom improved motivation and learning (Fusani, 1994 and Richmond, 1990).
Contact email@example.com to request ¡Bienvenidos! promotional material. Below are sample conversation starters to complement your faculty office hours.
• What are you enjoying about our class or what do you wish we had time to cover and/or talk about more in depth?
• How did you decide on your major?
• What kind of career or profession can you see yourself entering with your degree?
• Have you seen your advisor recently?
• Are you part of a study group? Do you have study friends?
Online Office Hours: Blackboard Collaborate Workshop
Join us for a 90-minute face-to-face session to learn more about one way to host faculty office hours online. Blackboard Collaborate is a simple, convenient and reliable web conferencing tool found inside your Blackboard course. By the end of this workshop, you will know how to digitally connect with students, one-on-one, and hold virtual group conversations with more than one student. Sign up and begin adopting a variety of collaborative learning solutions, web conferencing, and document sharing. Participants will be served lunch.
Register: September 12, 2019 | 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Register: October 11, 2019 | 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Blackboard Office Hours Sample
"¡Bienvenidos! Welcome to name of course! This course is designed to [course purpose and outcome]. I encourage you to come by my office hours at any time throughout the semester, individually or with friends. If you are unable to visit during my office hours, please contact me at [email] to arrange another time. I am also available to chat online on [date, time, and online medium such as Blackboard Collaborate]. Office hours provide you and I with a set time to discuss assignments, academic and professional interests, study strategies, or anything that can help you be successful in this class and on campus, and prepare you for your career and graduate school."
"I do hope you will visit my office hours. Come individually or with friends. It’s a chance to talk about the course, assignments, exams, study strategies, or whatever else you’d like to discuss. You don’t have to have a problem to visit. If you find yourself having difficulty with a reading assignment, however, I definitely want to see you; I may be able to help. If these office hours are impossible for you, please let me know so that we can make an appointment for another time (Erickson, Peters, and Strommer, 2006)."