Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The faculty of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Texas at El Paso, repudiate any unjust, prejudicial, and violent treatment of people perpetuated by racism, sexism, xenophobia, and any other forms of discrimination.
As professionals in our field and members of our community: (i) we will treat people fairly and judge them solely on the content of their character, (ii) we will stand together with those who would otherwise be marginalized, and (iii) we will value our differences, celebrate our diversity, and foster an inclusive culture.
To this effect, we commit to enlightened and responsible civic engagement and agree to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of the root causes of systemic discrimination and implicit biases in order to take the steps necessary to eliminate them from our academic and research settings.
- Invite experts as guest speakers and peer trainers on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Start and maintain conversations to promote equity and equality by examining and improving our strategic plan, policies, procedures, hiring, resources, teaching and learning, student support systems, attitudes and behaviors.
- Implement practices in advising, learning, mentoring, research, service, support, and teaching that foster a culture of inclusion with mutual respect for all.
- Create safe environments in which all people can enhance their professional and academic talents and exercise their rights without fear of discrimination, retaliation or ridicule.
- Hold each other accountable for our actions by challenging hostile and derogatory language and by reporting out any perceived forms of discrimination to the administration.
- Celebrate the diversity of our nation by raising awareness, recognizing and participating in holidays and events that honor the sacrifices, accomplishments, and cultural contributions of individuals from historically marginalized groups or immigrant minorities.
- Call on the administrative leadership to never deny or ignore where the institution has fallen short and to pledge to invest in structural change to support diversity, equity and inclusion at the institutional, college and departmental level.
- To follow up each one of these action items with a plan of action that includes information, educational resources, and best practices that our students, staff, faculty and administrators can access and reference.
- Welcome and consider any calls for further action by our community.
As academics, we strive to set examples for our students, staff, and community. We stand in solidarity with our multi-racial, multi-ethnic, and multi-lingual binational community, and commit to promote justice and ethical values for the community that we are called to serve.