Peer Leader Job Description
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collaborate with the course Instructor to provide instructional leadership for University 1301.
- Meet weekly with the assigned course instructor to assist them in planning the curriculum and instructional activities, both before the course starts and throughout the semester.
- Attend all UNIV 1301 classroom sessions.
- Coordinate with the course Instructor to meet with each UNIV 1301 student outside of class at least twice during the semester. These conferences should encourage rapport between the Peer Leader and student, help the two monitor the UNIV 1301 student’s academic progress, and facilitate any interventions and/or appropriate recommendations that may assist student’s success at UTEP.
- Assist with grading, as requested by course Instructor.
- Hold 2 to 5 office hours per week (to be arranged in cooperation with the course Instructor).
- Monitor students’ academic progress and make necessary recommendations when appropriate.
- Help students become independent learners by serving as a source of positive motivation and emphasizing transferable skills.
- Model professional student behavior, such as being on time, remaining attentive and engaged, etc.
- Promote and support UTEP’s academic policies and standards as well as its EDGE initiatives.
- Support and participate in the evaluation process of the Entering Student Program, as requested.
- Attend ALL required Entering Student Program training activities and workshops.