Online Bachelor of Arts in Media Advertising
- Convenient, 100% online media advertising degree offered through UTEP Connect
- Flexible study options that fit busy work and family schedules
- Designed for students seeking entry-level media and advertising careers
- Developed to support cross-functional team collaboration
- Connected to a charter student organization with the American Advertising Federation (AAF)
- Associated with the Advertising Federation of El Paso
This online advertising degree program is a great choice for individuals who want to play a key role in today’s ever involving media and advertising industry. A flexible and convenient online format makes it easier for students to balance schoolwork with other responsibilities, while getting a solid foundation in advertising theory, consumer behavior and media planning
WHY A MEDIA ADVERTISING DEGREE ONLINE?
Our online advertising degree program creates a strong foundation upon which you can build your career in advertising, marketing or media. As a student in the program, you’ll enjoy a multicultural experience and gain a broad base of knowledge that combines theory and application. You’ll learn strategy, planning, media and research plus the basics of design and copywriting. You’ll also have the opportunity to develop a fully integrated advertising campaign for a designated client to add to your portfolio.
The online bachelor’s degree in media advertising can also help you gain the knowledge and hands-on experience to:
- Succeed in a variety of advertising environments
- Stay ahead of new and emerging media trends
- Understand how consumers respond to various media
- Work within a team and with clients
- Plan, analyze data, develop effective messaging and more
Many different kinds of organizations employ advertising and marketing professionals so your online advertising degree is more valuable than ever. In addition to traditional agencies, many nonprofits and business of all sizes often also have in-house communication and marketing departments. Types of positions available to graduates of this program in both the for-profit and nonprofits sectors include:
- Account assistant
- Account coordinator
- Account executive
- Account supervisor
- Creative director
- Direct marketing director
- Market researcher
- Media buyer
- Media planner
- Project manager
- Promotions manager
- Public relations director
The UTEP Career Center can provide our online advertising degree graduates resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Our accomplished faculty consists of educators, researchers and innovators who bring real-world knowledge into every lesson. This online media advertising degree program was awarded the UTEP Library Information Literacy Course Enhancement Grant, which is designed to foster intellectual curiosity and resourcefulness. Faculty members cultivate relationships with agencies all over the country and students have the opportunity to explore internships for hands-on industry experience.
The University of Texas at El Paso and its access and excellence mission are redefining public higher education not only in Texas, but also across the nation. At At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Our online degree in advertising is just one of many excellent online programs we offer. Online degrees such as these help make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities. Here’s what sets UTEP apart:
- UTEP is one of the major economic engines in the Paso del Norte region, adding $1.4 billion to the local economy annually.
- UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students – about 80% of them Hispanic – and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. With its 36%-Hispanic faculty composition, UTEP also boasts one of the highest proportions of minority faculty among research universities in the United States.
- UTEP has attained a coveted R1 designation (top tier doctoral university with very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. UTEP is one of only 130 (4.5%) top tier universities among the 2,883 four-year higher education institutions across the U.S. to earn this prestigious R1 distinction, joining the ranks of such universities as Stanford, M.I.T., Michigan, Arizona and California-Berkeley.
- With $90 million in total annual research expenditures, UTEP ranks third among University of Texas System academic institutions in federal research spending. Funding is received from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, National Endowment for the Humanities and other agencies.
- UTEP is ranked as the best return on investment and one of the most affordable emerging research institutions in higher education in the country according to collegecost.ed.gov. Also, per collegescorecard.ed.gov, the average net price per year at The University of Texas at El Paso was significantly lower than other universities across Texas.
- Affordableschools.net also ranks UTEP as one of the top most affordable Latinx/Hispanic-Serving Institutions with online bachelor’s degrees.
- UTEP awards $88 million in scholarships annually and $192 million in financial aid (over 88% of UTEP students receive financial aid).
- The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No. 1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York also recently recognized the University for its institutional vision and commitment to quality, diversity, curricular innovation and investment in our community.
- UTEP is a part of the Military Times’ Best: Colleges 2018 rankings.
- Hispanic Business magazine consistently ranks graduate programs in both Business Administration and Engineering in the Top 10 in the nation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
ONLINE BACHELOR OF ARTS IN MEDIA ADVERTISING CURRICULUM
We designed our online media advertising degree program with you in mind. Our hands-on curriculum is designed to give students a solid baseline understanding of the advertising world, and online classrooms provide case studies and real-life simulation exercises. Students can also participate in a capstone project that culminates in the development of an advertising campaign — from start to finish — which provides the basis for a strong professional portfolio.
Students take a full complement of required courses in English, mathematics, literature, social science, science, the arts, history, economics and other core subjects that provide a broad general education foundation. Click here to see the core curriculum.
A total of 120 credit hours is required to graduate, including 18 credit hours of coursework specific to media advertising. The curriculum is constantly updated to keep up with industry trends.
|Introduction to Communication Studies||Gain an introduction to the various fields of communication.|
|Communication Theory and Analysis||Learn about the various aspects of communication theory that apply to all communication disciplines, ranging from intrapersonal communication to mass communication.|
|Methods of Research in Communication||Study various social science methodologies used to conduct research in the field of communication.|
|Principles of Advertising||Examine the role of advertising in society. Basic concepts include marketing message creation, budget determination, agency-client relationships, creative strategy, media considerations, and social and ethical responsibility of advertisers.|
|Advertising Design, Graphics and Layout||Learn how to use graphics for effective communication including typography, color, photography, design in advertising, print media, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) and printing methods.|
|Creative Strategy and Copywriting||Explore strategic research, problem definition, planning creativity, and ethics in advertising and public service announcements. Learn how to apply the techniques of research and the principles of communication and persuasion to the development of objectives, strategy and creative concepts. Study the theory and practice of developing appropriate messages to reach and influence target audiences. Integrate research, strategy and audio/visual methodology into the creation of concepts and copy for the primary ad media, including consumer and business media and direct response advertising.|
|Media Planning and Buying||Study the skills and concepts necessary to place advertising messages in commercial media types and vehicles. Learn how to develop national media budgets and flow charts along with media objectives, strategies and tactical executions. Also develop a competitive media plan for a national client.|
|Advertising Campaigns||Learn about strategic research, problem definition, audience definition, planning, creativity, media placement and ethics in advertising and public service campaign development. Apply the techniques of research and the principles of communication and persuasion to the development of advertising objectives, strategy and creative concepts. Incorporate all elements of an IMC approach to campaign development into a final semester project. Capstone course. Project required.|
|New Media Advertising||Get familiar with recent developments in new media and their growing applications in the advertising industry. Learn about state-of-the-art developments in the converging multi-platform media landscape in the United States and around the world. Also study important theories, concepts, technical knowledge and best campaign practices to prepare yourself for a career in the new media area of the advertising industry.|
|Ad Sales and Management||Discuss case studies as a means to determine appropriate management procedures, policies and responsibilities in the successful operation of advertising industries. Also learn about general sales techniques and client relationships with a focus on media sales.|
|Internship – Media Advertising||Gain practical experience through unremunerated professional participation in the activities of professional firms, agencies or departments in their major emphasis area. Note: Please be sure to secure an internship location prior to registering in this course.|
|Selected Topics - Advertising||Study (individually or in groups) significant areas of communication which are not covered by regular catalog offerings. May be repeated for credit when content varies.|