Online Bachelor of Arts in Organizational and Corporate Communication
- Convenient, 100% online communication degree offered by UTEP Connect
- Flexible study options that fit busy work and family schedules
- Ideal for those interested in public relations, human relations, or media relations
- Teaches multicultural communication and organizational skills
This online degree in communication program is designed to meet the needs of modern communicators who want to succeed in a corporate setting. Students will study organizational and corporate communication theory and practice, explore research methods and review case studies. The fully online format provides the convenience and flexibility needed by busy individuals who must balance school with other life responsibilities.
WHY AN ONLINE COMMUNICATION DEGREE?
This is an excellent degree for those who are seeking entry into the world of media relations or public relations, though graduates of our online communication degree program are not restricted to these fields alone! Most organizations in both public and private sectors require communication at all levels and graduates of this program will find themselves armed with excellent oral and written communication skills that can help them succeed in any position. Types of work might include:
- Creating corporate communication materials, such as annual reports, product brochures and other branded pieces
- Working in internal communication to share news about employee benefits, organizational changes and other internal subject matter
- Developing online content for company web sites, including intranet sites, client portals and general information pages
- Supporting public relations efforts by controlling the company’s message as shared by media outlets of all kinds
- Preparing scripts and speeches for organizational leaders to use at news conferences, trade shows, investor meetings and other high-profile communication venues
Upon graduation, you will be armed with the foundational knowledge and practical skills needed to pursue a variety of career paths. Types of positions available to graduates include:
- Advertising, promotions and marketing managers
- Meeting, convention and event planners
- Public relations and fundraising managers
- Public relations specialists
- Technical writers
The UTEP Career Center can provide graduates of the online degree in communication program with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Meet our Students
|Meagan Shank||Krista Mireles||Betty Smith|
The online communication degree program offered through UTEP Connect is a contemporary blend of the humanistic and applied directions of the field and students will also gain exposure to multicultural aspects of communication. Our faculty includes a number of experts who are well versed in the art of effective organizational and corporate communication and are focused on teaching students effective communication in mediated, societal, organizational and interpersonal contexts.
|Eli Garcia, Senior Lecturer and Director of Special Programs|
The University of Texas at El Paso and its access and excellence mission are redefining public higher education not only in Texas, but also across the nation. At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Online degrees such as the online communication degree program help make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities. Here’s what sets UTEP apart:
- UTEP is one of the major economic engines in the Paso del Norte region, adding $1.4 billion to the local economy annually.
- UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students – about 80% of them Hispanic – and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. With its 36%-Hispanic faculty composition, UTEP also boasts one of the highest proportions of minority faculty among research universities in the United States.
- UTEP has attained a coveted R1 designation (top tier doctoral university with very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. UTEP is one of only 130 (4.5%) top tier universities among the 2,883 four-year higher education institutions across the U.S. to earn this prestigious R1 distinction, joining the ranks of such universities as Stanford, M.I.T., Michigan, Arizona and California-Berkeley.
- With $90 million in total annual research expenditures, UTEP ranks third among University of Texas System academic institutions in federal research spending. Funding is received from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, National Endowment for the Humanities and other agencies.
- UTEP is ranked as the best return on investment and one of the most affordable emerging research institutions in higher education in the country according to collegecost.ed.gov. Also, per collegescorecard.ed.gov, the average net price per year at The University of Texas at El Paso was significantly lower than other universities across Texas.
- Affordableschools.net also ranks UTEP as one of the top most affordable Latinx/Hispanic-Serving Institutions with online bachelor’s degrees.
- UTEP awards $88 million in scholarships annually and $192 million in financial aid (over 88% of UTEP students receive financial aid).
- The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No. 1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York also recently recognized the University for its institutional vision and commitment to quality, diversity, curricular innovation and investment in our community.
- UTEP is a part of the Military Times’ Best: Colleges 2018 rankings.
- Hispanic Business magazine consistently ranks graduate programs in both Business Administration and Engineering in the Top 10 in the nation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
ONLINE COMMUNICATION DEGREE CURRICULUM
Students in our online communication program take a full complement of required courses in English, mathematics, literature, social science, science, the arts, history, economics and other core subjects that provide a broad general education foundation. Click here to see the core curriculum.
Additional study will include:
|Introduction to Communication||Explore the various fields of communication that are particularly relevant in today’s world.|
|Communication Theory and Analysis||Study the theories that apply to all communications, from intrapersonal interactions to mass media communication.|
|Methods of Research in Communication||Gain an understanding of the methodologies and social science concepts used to conduct communications research.|
|Writing for Public Relations and Corporate Communication||Learn how to write effective and engaging press releases, newsletters, and instructional and promotional materials by analyzing your audience and the context in which information will be shared.|
|Public Relations||Examine basic principles of public relations, along with the intricacies and nuances of proven techniques and methods for getting your story told.|
|Communication and Conflict||Familiarize yourself with communication strategies for mitigating interpersonal, organizational and social conflict, with emphasis on conflict management techniques in a variety of settings.|
|Communication and Organizational Leadership||Focus on the importance of communication skills, processes and behaviors among leaders seeking to serve as agents of change, creators of community and facilitators of diversity.|
|Organizational Communication||Review theories and research surrounding organizational communication processes and how these concepts are interpreted and applied in varying scenarios.|
|Case Studies in Public Relations||Examine real-world case studies reflecting the use of differing public relations theories and principles.|
|New Media Advertising||Familiarize yourself with recent developments in new media and their applications to advertising. This course will cover state-of-the-art developments in emerging and converging media landscape in the United States and around the world. Students will also learn important theories and concepts that can help them to incorporate new media into any advertising campaigns.|
|Ad Sales and Management||Develop an effective sales staff in the advertising industry. Sales policies, procedures, techniques, time-management, client relationship, closing and sales services are discussed. Management procedures, policies, and responsibilities in the successful operation of advertising industries. Areas covered are planning, problem solving, personnel, facilities, government, financial resources, and public service.|