Honors Senior Thesis
The Honors Senior Thesis is not an alternative to the Honors Degree. It is an optional track and entails a two-semester long independent study project.
Senior Thesis Requirements for Current Honors Students:
- Must be an active Honors student
- Must be an undergraduate student
- Must be a Senior and on their last two semesters
How to Register
- Must submit Senior Thesis Project Agreement Form by specified deadline
Senior Thesis Application Requirements for Non-Honors Students
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from UTEP Faculty/Staff members
How to Apply
- Please submit Senior Thesis Application & Agreement for Non-Honors Students Form, along with the two (2) letters of recommendation
- All documents must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All documents should be legible and be submitted in a single PDF file. Incorrect information may result in not receiving honors credit for your course. UHP documents are no longer accepted in person. Although we are happy to answer your questions during the process.
Please note that once application has been approved, you become a University Honors Program member
To earn this recognition, the student must complete all of the following:
- Remain active as a Honors student
- Identify a thesis topic and professor to work with for the entirety of their project
- Register by the designated deadline
- Remain enrolled in both courses
- Submit an honors contract evaluation for HON 4395 and HON 4396 at the end of the semester
- Course grade of a “B” or better is required for HON 4395 and HON 4396
Depending on the guidance of the professor, an Honors Senior Thesis may include:
- Extensive research paper
- Lab research project
- Creative piece
- Community service-learning project
Please note that Senior Thesis Courses do not count towards attaining a Honors Degree because they are separate recognitions. Honors students cannot work on a Honors Contract as well as the Senior Thesis at the same time.
For more information, please refer to your Member Agreement, Senior Thesis Agreement or contact the UHP Office.