UTEP Football Game Day Fan Policies
1 July 2019
Revised & Approved UTEP Football Game Day Fan & Tailgating Policies
(Effective Fall 2019)
The following tips and information concerning parking, tailgating and Sun Bowl Stadium policies are designed to help guide fans’ event planning and ensure a safe, family-friendly, enjoyable and entertaining experience for all. Go Miners!
- One tailgate setup per parking space to include vehicle, canopies and cooking area. Spaces are available on a ﬁrst-come, ﬁrst-served basis.
- Tailgating should take place within 4 feet in front of or behind your vehicle. No tailgating allowed in the parking garages.
- Overnight parking, with exception of ticketed RV’s, is not allowed on University property.
- For your safety, glass containers are not allowed anywhere on campus during game days.
- Kegs, beer balls, and other common-source containers are prohibited on campus and in tailgating areas. This includes beer funnels.
- Inner campus tailgates may start at noon while outer lot tailgates may begin at 8 a.m.
- No amplified sound and/or DJs are permitted unless written approval is granted from UTEP Athletics (email firstname.lastname@example.org). When approved, music must be confined to individual tailgate areas and speakers must be directed into the individual tailgate area.
Centennial Plaza tailgating:
- Centennial Plaza tailgates may start at noon on game days.
- Centennial Plaza is available for picnic-style, soft-tailgating only (i.e., “blankets only”).
- Tents, grills, tables/chairs or organized sports/activities are not allowed in Centennial Plaza.
Beginning Fall 2019, eligible UTEP students are able to go directly to Sun Bowl Stadium and gain access by having their Miner Gold Card scanned at the gate on game day.
Prior to game days, student guest tickets may be purchased at the UTEP Ticket Center located at 2901 N. Mesa Street or in the Union Building East room 111.
On game days, student guest tickets may be purchased at the UTEP Ticket Center at 2901 N. Mesa St., the eastside location at 1452 N. Zaragoza Suite A-500 or at the Sun Bowl box office.
Restricted access areas:
Unauthorized individuals are not permitted in restricted areas of Sun Bowl Stadium during or after an event. The restricted areas include, but are not limited to, the ﬁeld, locker rooms and oﬃces. Violators are subject to criminal sanctions and/or the University’s disciplinary processes.
The use of remote-controlled model aircraft to include drones is strictly prohibited on University property.
For the safety and comfort of the audience, the following items are prohibited in the venue:
- Alcohol may not be brought into the stadium venue, but is available for purchase once inside the venue.
- Glass containers
- Coolers and ice chests
- Laser pens/pointers
- Outside food and beverages
- Missile-like objects
- Posters, signs, ﬂags or banners
- Wallet chains
- Artiﬁcial noisemakers
- Car seats and baby carriers (Must have tickets for car seat and baby carrier)
- Lawn chairs
- Any other items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate.
- Sealed bottled water (Plastic only; 1 per patron)
- Fanny packs
- Radios with headset only
- Service animals
- Baby food (in plastic containers only)
- Stadium seat cushions - No larger than 14” x 14”
- Bags - No larger than 14”x14”x16”
To ensure the safety of our patrons and an enjoyable event for all, patrons will be subject to a search and/or wanding by event staff personnel. Event staff is not responsible for any items or personal property voluntarily left during search procedures at the entrance.
Re-entry with your torn ticket stub and a stamp will be allowed. Please ask a gate attendant for assistance.
Sections 10 through 17 are for general admission. Sections 18 through 21 are student seating. All other seating areas are reserved for numbered ticket holder.
For the 2019 football season, wheelchair/ADA seating is available in the following sections of the Sun Bowl Stadium:
- Sections 3, 5 and 7 on the concourse level on the west side of the stadium. Access to wheelchair/ADA seating in sections 3, 5 and 7 may only be accessed through the north or south stadium entrances due to ongoing stadium renovations during the 2019 football season.
- Section 13 and section 15, on the concourse level in the north end zone of the stadium.
- Section 19, on the concourse level in the UTEP student section on the east side of the stadium.
Wheelchair/ADA seating located on the terrace level in the upper west section of the stadium will return for the 2020 season once stadium renovations are complete.
Tickets may be purchased on site at the following entrances to Sun Bowl Stadium: north, south. Call 915-747-5234 or visit www.ticketmaster.com for more information.
Will call tickets:
Will call tickets can be picked up at the north and south entrances to Sun Bowl Stadium.
Athletic compliance tickets (Home & visiting player guest pass list, recruit tickets, etc.):
Game tickets issued via pass lists (i.e., home and visiting team player guests, prospective student-athletes, etc.) may be picked up at the ticket trailer located in the north entrance to Sun Bowl Stadium. In order to prevent NCAA violations, picture identification must be presented in order to claim game tickets issued via a pass list.
Food items are available for purchase with cash, credit cards and debit cards. Checks are not accepted.
ATMs are located on the concourse in front of sections 13 and 23.
Smoke and tobacco free UTEP:
The UTEP campus and its athletic venues are 100% smoke-free and tobacco-free. Please be respectful to the University by keeping UTEP a smoke-free environment for all its visitors to enjoy.
ADA parking is located in the SC2 lot off of Schuster Avenue by the roundabout of Spur 1966. Shuttles will also be available from the parking area to the north Sun Bowl entrance for patrons with wheelchair/ADA-designated seating. Both shuttles will start running two hours before kickoff and resume operation at the end of the third quarter until all patrons are serviced.
Emergency / evacuation procedures:
Should dangerous lightning or some other condition require the evacuation of the stadium, remain calm, and follow the instructions of the stadium security and ushering personnel and the public address announcements. Guests should migrate to the concourse level. Announcements will be made when guests are safe to either return to their stadium seating or exit to their vehicles. During an evacuation, all guests must completely depart the stadium and not remain on the premises. The public address system will provide additional instructions during an emergency.
RV parking is available in the SC1 lot (on Schuster Avenue). The lot opens at 8 a.m. the day before the game. RV season passes are $250 and are available by calling 915-747-6150.
Policy revision status:
3 April 2019: Proposed revisions discussed by Athletics (R. Acunto) and Special Events (J. Vazquez).
4 April 2019: Proposed revisions provided to Jim Senter for review & future submission to Richard Adauto for his consideration.
26 June 2019: Proposed revisions were reviewed and agreed upon by a committee composed of representatives of General Counsel, University Communications, Student Affairs, Business Affairs, Athletics, Special Events, Campus Police and Whelan Security.
Video Board Messages
UTEP Athletics is happy to celebrate fans’ special occasions on game day such as birthdays and anniversaries. Fans can purchase a video board message that will appear on the south video board during halftime for $150. Video board messages must be requested at least one (1) week in advance of the game at which they are supposed to occur. Messages are allowed a maximum of 12 words, must be in good taste and UTEP retains the right to modify any message. For more information, call (915) 747-8199.