Graduate Certificate in Leadership Studies: All Students
Please follow all the instructions very carefully. Only completed applications will be reviewed! Applying to the wrong category or uploading documents that do not satisfy the application requirements will be returned, and will delay the admissions process. All uploaded documents must be in PDF format! If you have any questions about applications, contact the program directly.
- Complete and submit the Application to the Graduate School here.
- Domestic/Mexican students - $45, International students - $80
- Once you select your category from the options above, scroll down to Liberal Arts choose "Leadership Studies Graduate Certificate".
- Click on the semester for which you are applying.
- There is no application deadline for the MLS program.
- Order your official transcripts from the university where you received your undergraduate degree and have them mailed to:
The University of Texas at El Paso
Kelly Hall Room 215, Attn: Program Advisor
500 West University Avenue
El Paso, TX 79968
- Transcripts must show the degree awarded.
- Transcripts mailed to us from applicants themselves will NOT be accepted as official transcripts!
- We accept e-scripts. E-scripts can be sent to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who received their undergraduate degrees from UTEP do not need to order transcripts.
- Please order your transcripts as soon as possible, you will NOT be able to register for courses until your transcripts have been received.
Statement of Purpose
- Address your educational and career goals, your reasons for pursuing an MLS degree, and how you believe it will benefit you in your Statement of Purpose.
- The Statement of Purpose should demonstrate your potential to think, write and communicate at the graduate level.
- Statements of Purpose must be:
- 1-2 pages, single spaced
- in Times New Roman, 12 point font
- in structured essay format (introduction, body, conclusion)
- written in formal, professional, or academic style
- in PDF format
For International Students: TOEFL Exam
- A score of 600 or higher on the TOEFL exam
- An in person or telephone interview
Under normal circumstances, an application decision should be expected within 8-10 business days once the complete application packet is submitted to the Graduate School. Please note that our admissions committee can not view any application until it is complete and submitted.
Recommended Courses: 12 credit hours
- MLS 5300: Contemporary Concepts of Leadership
- MLS 5303: Applied Research Methods
- MLS 5315: Organizational Theory and Behavior
- MLS 5331: Leadership Communications
Elective: 3 credit hours
(Choose 1 course)
- MLS 5351: Capstone - Ethics and Leadership
- MLS 5340: Team Based Leadership
- MLS 5321: Leadership in Complex Organizations
- MLS 5326: Leadership of Organizational Change
Students must take all 5 courses (15 credit hours). No transfer credits will be accepted for the Certificate in Leadership Studies.