- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If your GPA is lower you will have to take additional classes to bring it up to a minimum of 3.0.
- Fill and complete the Application for Graduate Degree form. The address on this application is the one your diploma will be mailed to with the name appearing on the diploma as is.
- Pay the application fee of $35 before the deadline or $50 after the deadline. Deadlines change every semester, track the calendar here.
- RSVP or decline attendance at the Hooding Ceremony and Commencement. More information on these events are provided below.
- Purchase your graduation regalia if you plan to attend.
- The MLS Program Advisor
- The Dean of the College of Liberal Arts
- The Dean of the Graduate School
Only when all these approvals have gone through will you become eligible to graduate and participate in the graduation events. For a more in depth description of this Graduation Checklist visit Graduation Information Session Presentation or visit the Graduate School's website.
The process of certifying all graduate degrees continues after commencement (early May for Spring Graduation, early December for Fall Graduation). After the certifying process is completed for the entire university (both graduates and undergraduates), orders are made for printing diplomas. Because there are approximately thousands of students graduating every semester, students usually receive their diplomas in the mail only 8 - 10 weeks after commencement.
For students requiring their diplomas for a job interview for example, the Graduate School can issue a Letter of Completion that verifies that the student has completed their requirements and are just awaiting certification. For more information, please contact the program.