UTEP Opera Scholars
Opera is unique—incorporating classical, unamplified singing, high drama, dance and visual art (scenery, costumes). This intense combination of creative arts is highly appealing to people with a deep love of music and theater. Yet, high school students who love opera and aspire to perform it may find few peers in their school with whom to share their passion.
Each fall, four classical singers are selected from El Paso area high schools to become UTEP Opera Scholars. They will take part in a variety of events coordinated with UTEP’s opera program and become a part of a community which can nurture and educate them in their quest for opera knowledge and experience.
UTEP Opera Scholars may:
- Perform with Opera UTEP in fall and spring productions as appropriate.
- Attend Metropolitan Opera live broadcasts at Cinemark theaters with UTEP voice students, faculty and community members.
- Attend pre-broadcast Opera Breakfasts to learn about and discuss the operas.
- Assist Opera UTEP backstage during the final week of rehearsals before performances.
- Attend master classes with Opera UTEP guest artists.
- Receive one Opera UTEP T-shirt
To audition for UTEP Opera Scholars, interested students should sign up for and attend UTEP Song Festival (a day of learning for high school vocal soloists). A student's performance on that day will serve as their Opera Scholars audition. Learn more about the UTEP Song Festival.
There is no cost to participate in the Opera Scholars.
- Learn more about majoring in Voice at UTEP. We offer degrees in performance, education and commercial music. Our faculty is comprised of world-class performers, pedagogues and scholars.For more information, visit http://utep.edu/voice and/or contact Dr. Elisa Fraser Wilson.
- A day of learning for El Paso area high school vocalists. Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016 For more information, visit utep.edu/songfestival and/or contact Prof. Brian Downen.
- Opera UTEP is the performing arm of UTEP's Opera Workshop class. Productions generally include an opera scenes concert in the fall and a complete opera in the spring. Students enjoy seminars, workshops and master classes with guest artists on the subjects of dance, acting, movement, voice and career planning. For more information, visit http://utep.edu/opera and/or contact Prof. Cherry Duke.