UTEP offers a Ph.D. in Psychology with a specialization in Behavioral Neuroscience. Graduate students have the opportunity to develop strong experimental skills in one of the fastest growing areas of science. UTEP offers a unique bicultural environment for conducting neuroscience research related to border-relevant issues. With four Hispanic faculty members, the neuroscience area offers an intensive and culturally sensitive environment that has a record of promoting the independent research careers of neuroscientists from diverse backgrounds. Our research programs are thematically centered on motivated behavior and we apply an array of state-of-the-art methods involving neurochemistry, molecular biology, electrophysiology, genetics, and histochemistry procedures. Our goal is to develop a strong foundation in neuroscience methods, grant and publication writing skills, and empirical design that will help our graduates develop independent research careers in Neuroscience. Our graduate training program is enriched with a vibrant undergraduate and post-doctoral fellow environment that creates a strong scientific community of neuroscientists. In addition to the research offered in the Psychology department, there are also opportunities for collaboration with other departments, such as Biological Sciences that has eight additional neuroscientists.
Explore our Website
- Learn more about the People in our program, including faculty, current graduate students, and alumni.
- See our Laboratories & Research Infrastructure and learn about the research conducted in our program.
- Learn more about the Behavioral Neuroscience Curriculum.
- Prospective graduate students should read our Application Information. Those interested in our program are encouraged to contact faculty regarding research interests and/or any questions related to the application process.
- View the UTEP Department of Psychology homepage to learn more about our faculty and other graduate programs.