Join our Team
Dear Miner Learning Center Student Applicant:
The University of Texas at El Paso is pleased to offer Peers Assisting Student Success (PASS) and Tutoring as academic support programs. Both programs target historically challenging courses and help students achieve success when they may have struggled otherwise. We are glad that you are considering the possibility of becoming a PASS Leader or Tutor with the Miner Learning Center.
Program participation is a leadership opportunity that will enhance your own learning experience, develop leadership skills, and provide valuable experience for future educational and employment opportunities. We encourage you to thoroughly review the job qualifications, responsibilities, and compensation described below while deciding whether to pursue an employment position with us.
- Sophomore class ranking or higher
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or above
- Professor recommendation (form included on the last page of application)
- Grade of A or B in selected course or comparable course
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Attend mandatory Training Workshop
- Attend the supported course as a model student (3-4 hrs. per week)
- Conduct PASS/Tutoring sessions outside of class (hours vary)
Typical session days & times: Sun. – Thur.; afternoons & evenings
- Attend team meetings (2 hr per month)
- Meet with participating professor (0.5 hr. per week)
PASS Program Only
- Hold office hours (1 hr. per week)
- Prepare PASS sessions (3 hrs. per week)
- New PASS Leaders/Tutors - $9.50 per hour; 13-16 hours per week
- Paid training at the above hourly rate (must complete entire PASS Training Workshop to be eligible)
If you are interested in working for the Miner Learning Center please complete the application and return it to Prospect Hall 316 with a copy of your unofficial transcript, Goldmine course schedule, and (1) faculty recommendation, as soon as possible. The Miner Learning Center will contact you to schedule an interview at a later date. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Vanessa Martinez, Director of Academic Student Success
You can download a copy of our application by clicking on the following link: