Introducing the Post Approval Verification and Education (PAVE) office within the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP)!
PAVE’s primary goal is to foster partnership – between UTEP and its researchers, funding and regulatory agencies, and the public by assisting researchers to stay in compliance with approved protocols, policies, regulations, and by working to promote best research practices.
Currently, the PAVE office supports research involving human subjects, animals, and recombinant DNA research by verifying through observation and documentation comparison, an accurate and consistent protocol performance conducted in accordance with the University of Texas at El Paso’s (UTEP) Institutional Review Board (IRB), Biosafety (IBC), Animal Use and Care Committees (IACUC) - approved protocol and federal regulations.
If observed research activities are deemed non-compliant, the PAVE office will work alongside the PI and research team to resolve the deficiency and get back into compliance in a quick and efficient manner to ensure that research is not delayed or compromised.
Benefits of PAVE
- Prospectively identify potential issues of non-compliance
- Compliance Assistance, to include training and continuing
- Review, inspections, and support for internal or external audits
- Protocol and procedural guidance
PAVE reviews may be initiated for the following reasons:
- Higher than minimal risk studies
- Random selection
- The PI or PI’s department may wish to have research studies reviewed proactively
- Other reasons, such as risk and safety.
- PI request (to initiate, please visit: https://pave-scheduling.questionpro.com)
If a PAVE review is initiated, the PI will receive notification of a PAVE visit via email to the Principal Investigator (PI) and Faculty Sponsor (if the PI is a student). The PAVE office will work with the PI to establish a PAVE review time within thirty (30) days of initial contact.
Your feedback about PAVE is important and we invite you to share your experiences, opinions, and concerns, by visiting: https://pave-scheduling.questionpro.com.
PAVE Contact Information
Coordinator: Bernice J. Caad, BS
Report a concern to PAVE anonymously: