R U OK?
R U OK? is an Australian suicide prevention charity that asks us all to have regular, meaningful conversations with anyone we’re worried about. But while it might have started Down Under, the mission is global. That’s why we’re asking the UTEP community to connect with people in their lives and help stop little problems from getting bigger.
Save the Date: Fall 2019
September 12, 2019
We’ve all got what it takes to start a conversation with the people we care about.
1 Ask R U OK?
- Be relaxed, friendly and concerned in your approach
- Help them open up by asking questions like “How're you doing?”
- Mention specific things that have made you concerned for them
2 Listen without judgement
- Take what they say seriously
- Don’t interrupt or rush the conversation
- If they need time to think, sit patiently with the silence
3 Encourage action
- Ask: “What have you done in the past to manage similar situations?”
- Ask: “How would you like me to support you?”
- Ask: “What’s something you can do for yourself right now?”
4 Check in
- Make a note on your calendar to call them in a couple of weeks
- If they’re really struggling, follow up with them sooner
- Stay in touch and be there for them
Campus Resources and Support
University Counseling and Psychological Services
Union West 202 | (915) 747-5302
After-Hour Crisis Line: (915) 747-5302
3118 Sun Bowl Drive | (915) 747-5611 or if emergency 9-1-1
Dean of Students
Union West 102 | (915) 747-5648
Office of the Assistant Vice President for Student Support
Union East 306 | (915) 747-7448