GEAR UP OVERVIEW
GEAR UP is a 7-year program funded by the Department of Education to expand educational opportunities and to assist students in becoming college eligible and then academically successful in higher education.
Our mission is to provide awareness, academic readiness, and support to disadvantaged students for successful completion and pursuit of post-secondary education
GEAR UP’s goals:
- To increase academic readiness for post-secondary education.
- To increase awareness of post-secondary opportunities, required courses, and financial aid to establish strong partnerships.
- To enhance student achievements and increase access to higher education.
7th Year GOAL
Increasing students’ success in their first year of attendance at an institution of higher education.
- To provide students with tutoring and mentoring support during the first-year college experience.
- To develop a support network, strengthen their academic skills and familiarize themselves with campus support services on students enrolled in remediation courses such as by providing enhanced academic and career advising and targeted services.
- To increase college persistence and completion.
Services GEAR UP offers:
- Cultural Events and College Visits
- Summer Programs
- Leadership Seminars
UTEP GEAR UP PROGRAMS AWARDS
- GEAR UP SOAR 2012-2018
- School Partnership: SISD
- GEAR UP PROYECTO MAS 2008-2014
- School Partnership: YISD
- GEAR UP 2006-2012
- School Partnership: Wiggs and Armendariz Middle Schools and El Paso and Austin High Schools
- GEAR UP 1999-2005
- School Partnership: Guillen Middle School and Bowie High School