All international student travel covered by the Student Travel Policy for International Locations includes mandatory enrollment in the UT International Insurance Coverage program--Overseas Insurance. The Overseas Insurance policy applies to students:
- participating in UT Austin sponsored or affiliated study abroad programs
- conducting independent research abroad
- attending international conferences
- traveling abroad as a member of registered or sponsored student organizations
- participating in internships organized or sponsored by UT Austin representatives
This program is free and includes:
- International Travel Accident & Sickness Insurance administered by ACE/Chubb Insurance. Policy # GLMN04969340
- International SOS (ISOS) emergency assistance coverage. UT Member #11BSGC000037
- General liability coverage
Though some students will be dually covered by a national health care program and/or a program provider insurance policy, all UT-Austin students are required to enroll in mandatory coverage through UT. The only exception is UT-Austin students studying abroad in their home country. These students may still use ISOS assistance and the general liability coverage component of Overseas Insurance if they choose. Contact the office of study abroad for more information.
We recommend that all students retain their domestic (US-based) health insurance coverage while they are abroad in case they are forced to return to the United States before their program is over for any reason, such as a medical emergency. Please also be aware that Overseas Insurance does not satisfy the coverage requirements outlined by the Affordable Care Act.
How to use international SOS (ISOS)
International SOS assists students during health, safety, and security issues. The ISOS website has information on:
- Online country guides including cultural tips and health and safety information
- Online travel advisory information for every country, and current travel recommendations.
- The availability of medications in a host country.
- To access the site, visit Internationalsos.com and enter the UT membership number: 11BSGC000037.
Call ISOS before leaving the country for information about:
- specific prescription drug benefits abroad
- questions about coverage for expected (anticipated) medical expenses abroad
- itinerary specific security advice
Call ISOS collect at 1.215.942.8478 at any time if while abroad you:
- need to see a doctor due to illness or injury
- need to speak to a nurse or Western-trained doctor
- need to speak to a counselor or therapist, either over in person or over the phone
- need to be evacuated due to civil uprisings or natural disasters
- are the victim of a crime and need emergency services
- lose your travel documents or need legal help
- want UT officials to be aware of your situation; you will have to give consent to ISOS to share the information with UT officials