The CLEP Program allows students to earn credit for courses by examination.
There are numerous courses for which a student can receive credit by exam. The Office of Student Assessment & Testing does not determine nor advise which test is needed for credit in a particular course.
Please refer to your academic advisor for proper Credit by Examination opportunities. Inform yourself on the policies in regards to Credit by Examination on the UTEP Undergraduate Catalog. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will provide the credit evaluation. Visit here for credit evaluation.
Please make sure that you check with your academic advisor before taking this test, there are no refunds.
Candidates for the CLEP test are permitted registration into one test subject per test date, this is due to projected test duration, sometimes as long as three hours.
Payment and Registration
There are two fees associated with CLEP: the UTEP Test administration fee ($20*) and the College Board’s CLEP exam fee ($90* - subject to change - $93 effective July 1st). These fees are processed through separate transactions. CLEP exams are free for military personnel – find out more!
You must complete both steps below:
Pay the College Board’s CLEP Exam Fee – Pay the $89 CLEP fee online with a credit card through the CollegeBoard Account Registration Portal.
This is the ONLY METHOD OF PAYMENT for the CLEP exam. You will receive a Registration Ticket that you will need to print and bring with you on the day of the test. The registration ticket will include a Ticket ID (used with iBT) and a Voucher ID (used with eCBT) to be used for check-in at the test site. The registration ticket will also serve as proof of payment to be presented at the test center.
For more information regarding CLEP Services dial 1-800-257-9558 or send an email to email@example.com.
Pay the UTEP Test Administration Fee ($20) and Register – Click here to pay and register with a credit card.
THE TEST FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE.
Note: A non-refundable convenience fee of $3.50 will be applied for online payments.
To avoid the convenience fee, you may register in-person at the Testing Office. Payment
may be made in the Testing Office using exact cash ONLY.
Day of the Test
- The office is located in the UTEP Library- 4th floor- room 401. Candidates are asked to arrive 15 minutes early for check-in. If you arrive late, you may not be allowed to take the test.
- IDENTIFICATION: Candidates are required to present an official identification card on the day of the test. A driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes a photograph and signature. Candidates will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on the candidate’s ID must match the name on their registration ticket. The ID presented at the test site must meet the following criteria:
- Be government-issued
- Be an original document — photocopied documents are not acceptable
- Be valid and current — expired documents (bearing expiration dates that have passed) are not acceptable, no matter how recently they may have expired.
- Bear the test-taker's full name, in English language characters, exactly as it appears on the Registration Ticket, including the order of the names.
- Middle initials are optional and only need to match the first letter of the middle name when present on both the ticket and the identification.
- Bear a recent recognizable photograph that clearly matches the test-taker
- Include the test-takers signature
- Be in good condition, with clearly legible text and a clearly visible photograph
- Military test-takers, bring your military ID
- Home-school students and high school students: if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested
- Examples of other types of acceptable ID include:
- Government-issued passport with name, photograph and signature
- Driver’s license with name, photograph and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph and signature
- Military ID with name, photograph and electronic signature
- National ID with name, photograph and signature
- Tribal ID card with name, photograph and signature
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship with name, photograph and signature
- A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with name, photograph and signature
NO OTHER FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED
To view available test dates, click HERE.
An unofficial CLEP test score report will be provided upon completing the CLEP exam. Official score reports are sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions from CollegeBoard within three weeks.
Most tests are 90 minutes long. Exams with essay sections have an additional 70 minutes.
As of Oct. 17, 2014, the CLEP retest policy will be changed to allow test-takers to retest three months after the last exam administration, as opposed to six months. Please note that this policy is in effect only for students who test on Oct. 17 or after. Retakes are not permitted for students who have taken the course for which credit by exam is sought.
The following resources may assist the candidate in preparing for the CLEP exam:
- Find your Official CLEP Study Guide at the CLEP – College Board Store. The CLEP Official Study Guide includes CLEP Sampler and is the only guide for the new computer-based CLEP. Also find exam descriptions and download a free CLEP Sampler, free test brochures, and purchase study guides.
- CLEP Study Guides are also available at the UTEP Bookstore and other book retailers.
- Various publishers such as Kaplan, Barron's, Peterson's and Princeton Review also publish CLEP Study Guides. These guides are available at various bookstores.
Liberal Arts students cannot take the CLEP test to fulfill Spanish language credits.
Students cannot take the test if they have taken the course for which credit by exam is sought.
FOOD, DRINKS, HATS, MECHANICAL PENCILS, ALL TYPES OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES, ALL TYPES OF WATCHES, AND CONCEALED HANDGUNS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE TEST ROOM!
Banned electronic devices include (but are not limited to):
- Cell phones
- Smart watches
- Watches or other devices that access the internet, beep, contain alarms, or have photographic capabilities
- Any device capable of recording audio, photographic or video content
- Fitbit ® or any active performance fitness products
- Flash or thumb drives
CLEP from home
Interested in doing the CLEP REMOTELY visit: https://clep.collegeboard.org/about-remote-proctoring
UTEP Codes: ACT: 4223; AP, CLEP, SAT, TOEFL: 6829; THEA: 357; DSST: 8021