International Admission Test
Who is expected to take the Duolingo English Proficiency Test?
Undergraduate Admissions – The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will consider all relevant information to determine if you are required to take the Duolingo English Proficiency Test. Students who are not able to take the TOEFL or the PAA can take this exam. Call the Office of Admissions and Recruitment 915-747-5890
Graduate Admissions – The Office of Graduate Student Services will determine which tests you need to take for admission to Graduate School. Call the Graduate Student office at 915-747-5491
Payment and Registration
Determine if you need to take the test
You must apply for admission before taking the test (apply through ApplyTexas).
Talk with an Admissions Counselor the Office of Admissions and Recruitment to determine if you need to take the test.
Pay the test fee ($49) and Register – https://englishtest.duolingo.com/applicants
Day of the Test
- The comfort of your own home.
You can take the Duolingo English Test using the most up-to-date version of one of the following browsers:
We also recommend completing the Practice Test first to confirm that you can complete the test on your computer and browser.
- The comfort of your own home.
- You will be required to present an official UNEXPIRED identification card with a current photo.
- Please note that you MUST write your name exactly as it appears on your governmental ID card. This may include your middle name or additional given names and surnames.
- Acceptable forms of identification nclude:
- Driver’s License
- Government Issued ID
Scores will be available for students about 48 hours after completion of the test. Please allow 24-48 hours for the scores to be in the UTEP system.
- Minimum passing score is 100
- Placements after passing DUOLINGO:
*Please contact them at email@example.com or call 915-747-5491
The Duolingo English Test takes less than an hour to complete.
The exam portion of the Duolingo English Test contains a series of speaking, reading, writing, and listening exercises. This portion is graded.
The second, ungraded portion of the exam consists of a video interview and writing sample. In each section, the test taker will be able to respond to one of two prompts offered.
For a quick walkthrough of the test experience, log in and take a Practice Test.
You may receive certified results for up to two tests in a 30-day period, which starts on the completion date of your first certified test. If you complete a test and your results are not certified, it will not count against this limit.
If your results were not certified, and you did not receive notice that your account was blocked, you can retake the test within 30 days of your original purchase date. However, please review and keep in mind the reason(s) why your results were not certified before retaking the test.
If you did receive notice that your account was blocked, you will not be able to retake the test. If you feel that this was done incorrectly, you may appeal your results here.
After logging in, you can take a Practice Test to try sample questions in the same format as on the full test and have the option of estimating your English proficiency.
Please note that the Practice Test is much shorter than the Certified Test, so the estimated score range given at the end may not accurately measure your proficiency.
While taking the Duolingo English Test, you will need to comply with the following rules.
- Make sure you are alone in a quiet, well-lit room.
- Make sure your ears are always visible and not covered (e.g. covered by hair, a hat, etc.).
- Make sure your face is visible and not obscured by sunglasses or other accessories.
- Do not wear headphones or earphones.
- Do not use any outside materials, including mobile devices, notes, or textbooks.
- Do not communicate with anyone else.
- Do not use any writing utensils or paper.
- Do not leave the test window on your web browser for any reason.
- Do not look away from the screen.
If you violate any of these rules, Duolingo reserves the right to invalidate your test results and take more severe measures as listed on this page.
UTEP Codes: ACT: 4223; AP, CLEP, SAT, TOEFL: 6829; THEA: 357; DSST: 8021