Higher Level Math
The Higher Level Math Test (Calculus Placement Test) is intended for students who wish to demonstrate academic readiness for Math 2301, Math 1411 or STAT 2480.
The ACCUPLACER College-Level Math test (Calculus Placement Test) is comprised of 20 questions and measures the student’s ability to solve problems that involve college-level mathematics concepts. There are five types of College-Level Math questions:
• Algebraic operations: topics include simplifying rational algebraic expressions, factoring, expanding polynomials, and manipulating roots and exponents.
• Solutions of equations and inequalities: topics include the solution of linear and quadratic equations and inequalities, equation systems and other algebraic equations.
• Coordinate geometry: topics include plane geometry, the coordinate plane, straight lines, conics, sets of points in the plane, and graphs of algebraic functions.
• Applications and other algebra topics: topics include complex numbers, series and sequences, determinants, permutations and combinations, fractions and word problems.
• Functions and trigonometry: topics include polynomials, algebraic, exponential, and logarithmic and trigonometric functions.
Pay the $20 test fee online with a credit card.
NOTE: THE TEST FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE. Valid only for one fiscal year (September 1st through August 31st of the following year)
Online Registration – If you paid online, refer to your confirmation email and locate the reference number. Then go to http://testregister.utep.edu and login using your UTEP credentials. Click on "Test Registration" to select the test and test date for your exam, then click "Register". Enter the reference number you received in the confirmation email to reserve a seat.
In-Person Registration – You can also reserve a seat in person at the Office of Student Assessment & Testing, located in the Academic Advising Center Bldg., Suite 127, or by calling the TEST RESERVATION line at (915)747-5009. Refer to the test schedule for dates and times. Once one session gets full, it will no longer be displayed on the registration system.
The Office of Student Assessment and Testing offers the Higher Level Math Placement Test on a weekly basis with the exception of holiday periods. To view available test dates follow this link to the Testing Calendar.
Higher Level Math Placement Test scores are available for the student’s review immediately after completion of the test. A valid ID is required for students requesting test scores upon completion of the test. All test scores are loaded into the student’s record within 24 hours of completing the test.
The Higher Level Math test is un-timed.
UTEP Codes: ACT: 4223; AP, CLEP, SAT, TOEFL: 6829; THEA: 357; DSST: 8021;