TSI - Exemptions
A student may be exempt from meeting Texas Success Initiative standards by meeting one of the following standards:
For a period of five (5) years from the date of testing, a student who is tested and performs at or above the following standards that cannot be raised by institutions:
- The revised College Board SAT test has been administered since March 2016.
- Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW): 480
- Math: 530
- SAT (Prior to March 2016) – Combined verbal and math score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on the verbal test and/or math test
- ACT – Composite score of 23 or higher with at least a 19 on the English test and/or math sections
- TAKS – Minimum score of 2200 on both the English and/or math sections with at least a 3 on the writing component of the 11th grade TAKS (for a period of 3 years from the date of testing)
- STAAR EOC- English III Level 2 = 2000
- STAAR EOC- Algebra II Level 2 = 4000
- Military – Veterans and active duty personnel serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment.
- Transfer – Transfer from a private or independent institution or an accredited out-of-state institution and has satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by the receiving institution.
- Certificate – Enroll in a certificate program of one year or less (Level-One certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public community college, a public technical institute, or a public state college
- A student who successfully completes a college preparatory course under Texas Education Code §28.014 is exempt for a period of twenty-four (24) months from the date of high school graduation with respect to the content area of the course. The student must enroll in the student's first college-level course in the exempted content area in the student's first year of enrollment in an institution of higher education. This exemption applies only at the institution of higher education that partners with the school district in which the student is enrolled to provide the course. Additionally, an institution of higher education may enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with a partnering institution of higher education to accept the exemption for the college preparatory course.
- ESC- Region 19 -Students must obtain an overall grade of 75.
UTEP Codes: ACT: 4223; AP, CLEP, SAT, TOEFL: 6829; THEA: 357; DSST: 8021