If you did not meet the required score to be TSI completed you can retake any of the sections. You are not required to do so, only if you feel that you can improve your score. You are only allowed to take 2 parts during a retake session.
About the TSI Assessment Retake
The TSI assessment is a three-part computer-based knowledge assessment covering reading, mathematics and writing. These tests are administered on a computer. The TSI Assessment Retake is administered in a 3 hour block
The TSI ASSESSMENT consists of the following tests:
TSI Math Test - There are approximately 20 items on this test and 10 items in each section of the TSI diagnostic test. This is a multiple-choice assessment that covers: Intermediate Algebra and Functions; Geometry and Measurements; and Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability.
TSI Writing Test: A multiple choice assessment with approximately 20 items on the placement test, and 10 -12 items on the diagnostic test. This assessment covers: Essay Revision; Agreement; Sentence Structure; and Sentence Logic.
TSI Reading Test: There are approximately 24 items on this assessment test, and 10-12 items per category on the diagnostic test. This assessment covers: Literary analysis; Main Idea and Supporting Details; Inferences in a Text or Texts; and Author’s Use of Language.
Register for a test session
Please make sure that you check with your academic advisor before taking this test, there are no refunds.
- Step 1: Payment Procedures
- Go to http://testingpayment.utep.edu to pay with a credit card
- Select the TSI Assessment Retake
- Select the appropriate section you wish to register for: $20 for Math, $20 for Writing, $10 for Reading
- Add them to the shopping cart
- *please be advised to make individual payments per test, if multiple test are bought with one transaction you will need to call 915-747-5009 to register.
The test fees are non-refundable and non-transferable, valid from 9/01/18-8/31/19.
- Step 2: Register for a test session
- Reserve a seat either online at http://testregister.utep.edu , in person at the Student Assessment & Testing Office (located in the Academic Advising Center Bldg. Suite 127), or call (915) 747-5009. Refer to the test schedule for dates and times.
The Office of Student Assessment and Testing offers the TSI assessment throughout each month of the year with the exception of holiday periods. To view available test dates follow this link to the Testing Calendar.
On the day of the test
Report to the Student Assessment & Testing Office. Arrive 15 minutes early for check-in. If the candidate arrives late, then the candidate may not be admitted into the test session. Present Identification – Candidates are required to present an official identification card with a current photo.
Distance Testing and Remote Test Site
If the student is unable to travel to The University of Texas at El Paso test site, then remote testing is an option. New and transfer students who live outside of El Paso County, residing in-state or out-of-state, and plan to attend The University of Texas at El Paso can arrange to take the UTEP TSI Assessment at a local college or university that is more accessible to the student. Students interested in this option are asked to review the Distance Testing agreement for important information about next steps, point of contact, fees, and delivery of scores
UTEP Codes: ACT: 4223; AP, CLEP, SAT, TOEFL: 6829; THEA: 357; DSST: 8021;