GO:    [ UTEP Home Page ]    [ Catalog Index ]    [ College of Health Sciences Contents ]    [ Core Curriculum ]    [ University Map ]


  • Introduction
  • Nursing
  • Allied Health

  • Dr. Patricia Castiglia, Dean
    Dr. Gail Ackall, Associate Dean
    Connie Gamboa, Assistant Dean

    1101 N. Campbell
    Phone: (915) 747-7280
    Fax: (915) 747-7207
    E-mail: chs@utep.edu

    School of Nursing

    1. Department Information
    2. General Information for Nursing Students
    3. Academic Standards
    4. Bachelor of Science in Nursing
    5. Bachelor and Master of Science in Nursing for Registered Nurses
    6. Nursing (NURS) Courses
    7. Continuing Education Program

    General Information for Nursing Students

    Student Affairs
    It is the responsibility of the student:

    1. To become familiar with and comply with regulations of the College of Health Sciences;
    2. To keep the Student Records office and the Admissions Office informed of his or her current (1) local address, (2) telephone number, or where he or she may be reached, and (3) home address and phone number;
    3. To be informed of general and special notices including examination schedules posted on the official bulletin board in the College;
    4. To make arrangements for completion of all work and to meet the requirements for removal of incomplete grades; and
    5. To assure that official communications, including requests for release of information to other institutions, be submitted in writing.
    Special Expenses
    Uniforms, lab coat, name pin, and identification patch are required dress for clinical practicum.

    Professional Liability Insurance
    All students enrolling in clinical nursing courses will be required to show evidence of current professional liability insurance coverage of at least a minimum amount of $1,000,000 limit each claim and $3,000,000 limit in the aggregate per year. This insurance can be purchased at registration.

    Student Employment
    The School of Nursing assumes no responsibility for students employed in a health care agency. A student is personally responsible and liable for any activities conducted while employed. Professional liability insurance purchased by a student is valid in the student role, but not in the employment role (check individual policy). An individual who practices nursing illegally may jeopardize his/her future as a licensed professional. A student employed in an agency has the responsibility, personally and professionally, to engage in only those activities which fall within the job description for non-professional workers, and has a responsibility to refuse to participate in activities which he or she has not been legally licensed to perform.

    Nursing Student Organization
    All nursing students are eligible for membership in the Nursing Student Organization, which is a chapter of the Texas Nursing Students' Association and the National Student Nurse Association. The Nursing Student Organization has goals consistent with those of the National Student Nurses' Association. Its purpose is to aid in the development of the individual student as a future health professional. Nursing students are represented on campus committees and in campus activities involving the entire UTEP student body.

    Sigma Theta Tau
    Delta Kappa Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau was chartered at The University of Texas at El Paso in 1980. The purposes of Sigma Theta Tau are to recognize the achievement of scholarship of superior quality, to recognize the development of leadership qualities, to foster high professional standards, to encourage creative work, and to strengthen commitment on the part of individuals to the ideals and purposes of the profession of nursing. Each year invitations to membership are extended to selected students in either the undergraduate or graduate program who are within the upper one-third of their graduating class.

    Financial Aid
    Students enrolled in the College of Health Sciences are eligible to apply for all forms of financial assistance available to other majors. Specific information can be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Aid.

    Armed Services
    The United States Armed Services view the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) as an exceptionally valuable source for officers who have an appreciation of nursing's contribution to the defense of the nation. ROTC offers programs whereby nursing students may earn a commission while they complete their nursing curriculum. Scholarships that provide for tuition, books, and supplies are available. Monthly stipends are offered to advanced students. In addition to financial assistance, ROTC offers leadership/management courses which are valuable assets in a nursing career. A six-week summer training program provides valuable experience for students in health care facilities between the academic years. Interested students should contact the Department of Military Science or the Department of Aerospace Studies on campus.

    Students seeking admission to the University as freshmen or transfers should consult the section titled Undergraduate Admission in this catalog. Students transferring from other nursing programs must submit a statement from the dean or department chair of the previous program stating that the student is eligible to return to that program. Students are classified as pre-nursing majors until they are admitted into the upper-division program.

    Upper-Division Admission
    Students interested in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree must fill out an upper-division admission application after completion of 30 hours of required courses. This form is available through the Admissions Office. Students are considered for admission into the upper-division nursing major if they have completed 53 hours of lower-division prerequisite courses with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher; an overall University grade point average of 2.0 or higher must also be maintained. Selection into the upper-division program is based upon the number of applicants, space availability, and academic performance. A "C" or better is required in following prerequisites: English, Math; and Natural, Physical, and Behavioral Sciences. Any student who does not satisfy the "C" minimum in the appropriately designated courses will not be admitted to upper-division course work until this requirement is met.

    Requirements for Enrollment in Upper-Division Courses
    Certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) must be presented in order to enroll in each upper-division clinical nursing course. The CPR certification must be valid for the entire semester and must be at Level "C" according to the American Heart Association standards. In addition, evidence of current immunization and other clinical clearance requirements must be submitted to the Student Record Officer at the College of Health Sciences.


      [top of page]

    The University of Texas at El Paso
    Developed by the UTEP Web Development Team
    Revised: February 28, 2001