Anniversary Calendar and Goals
The College of Liberal Arts is celebrating its 50th anniversary from September 2017-May 2018! During the anniversary year, we will celebrate the contributions of the College of Liberal Arts to UTEP, El Paso and beyond over the last half-century. We will also promote the Liberal Arts in our community. The Anniversary Committee will have an exciting slate of events to celebrate this milestone, including a Liberal Arts Week that will coincide with Homecoming Week in the fall.
College of Liberal Arts 50th Anniversary Committee
- Chair: Maryse Jayasuriya (Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts)
- Maggy Smith (Chair, English Department)
- Mimi Gladstein (Interim Chair, Theatre and Dance Department)
- David Griffin (Chair, Art Department)
- Steve Wilson (Chair, Music Department)
- Richard Pineda (Associate Professor, Communication Department)
- Yvonne Carranza Rolph (Director of Student Success)
- Cynthia Marentes (Director of Community Engagement)
- Paul J Vierra (Assistant Director, VP for Institutional Asset Management and Development)
- Maribel Villalva (Assistant Vice President, Alumni Affairs)
- Christian Morales-Castaneda (Liberal Arts Senator, SGA)
The special logo for our anniversary celebration was designed by Ms. Magdalena Montserrat Covarrubias, a student of Professor Antonio Castro in the Art Department.
Dean's Legacy Lecture
Mark your calendars for an important Countdown to the Celebration event: Dr. Patricia Witherspoon will give the Dean’s Legacy Lecture entitled “Taking a Stand for the Liberal Arts” on Thursday, May 4th from 5:00-6:30pm at the Tomas Rivera Conference Center. A reception will follow the lecture. All are invited! For more details, please visit this page.