Hazardous Material Spill and Safety Notification
The campus emergency coordinator is Mr. Christopher Felix, officed in the Environmental Health and Safety Department, 1850 Wiggins Way. Phone (915) 747-7124
The alternate campus emergency coordinator is Mr. Emilio Rodriguez officed in the Environmental Health and Safety Department, 1850 Wiggins Way. Phone (915) 747-7179
Procedures in the event of a hazardous material release:
1. Report immediately any spill of a hazardous chemical to Campus Police at 747-5611. UTEP PD will respond and make the proper notifications. This will include the campus emergency coordinator in the Office of Environmental Health and Safety at 747-7124, and the local Fire/Medical Department if needed.
2. When reporting a hazardous or chemical spill, be specific about the nature of the material, if known and the location of the spill or release.
3. Isolate the spill/release and evacuate the immediate area. This will likely include the partial or total evacuation of the building.
4. Do not walk into or touch any of the spilled substance.
5. Those who may be exposed or injured and/or contaminated should go to the nearest emergency eye wash/shower station and begin decontaminating the exposed areas. If the chemical release or exposure is in areas other than a laboratory, isolate the person or persons in order for emergency responders to be able to provide decontamination procedures.
6. Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building(s) (remember a football field is 300 feet), or as directed by emergency responders. Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
7. Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by an authorized First Responder.
8. If the hazardous material release is determined to threaten human health, or the environment, outside the facility the campus emergency coordinator will notify appropriate State and local agencies.