The purpose for the Staff Employment Action Request (SEAR) process is to support cost containment initiatives, regardless of the source of funds, related to Administrative and Professional (A&P) and Classified employment actions.
The following items need to follow SEAR approval process prior to initiating recruitment efforts:
- Request to create, fill or extend a Classified or A&P staff position:
- non-budgeted benefits eligible
- non-benefits eligible
- full time
- part time
- Direct Hire
- All benefits eligible A&P and Classified positions are advertised through the online PeopleSoft Talent Acquisition Management (TAM).
- Non benefit eligible or temporary positions may be advertised through the online PeopleSoft Talent Acquisition Management (TAM).
- Request to make a direct/ strategic hire (Non-TAM) should follow the SEAR approval process for Administrative and Professional (A&P) and Classified positions.
Meeting With The Hiring Official
- Recruitment Consultant will be copied on the notification to Hiring Official via email in regards to the SEAR approval for the position.
- Recruitment Consultant has 24 to 48 to contact hiring official to set up a meeting to develop a recruitment plan for the vacancy.
- Recruitment plans can vary depending on positions. Typical items of discussion include:
- Discuss how the position will be posted
- Review job description and determine if updates are needed
- Identify and draft potential interview questions
- For screening criteria, utilize the job descriptions as a guideline. Also identify preferred criteria that the position requires aside from minimum education and experience.
- Define a timeline to fill the position: Open date, closing date, screening turnaround, tentative interview dates, panel members, and targeted start date for candidate. The Recruitment Consultant will use the Recruitment Plan Checklist below to capture information discussed in the meeting with the hiring official.
- The Recruitment Consultant will draft the job announcement to ensure the job description and requirements are displayed accordingly as discussed with the hiring official.
- If the job duties and responsibilities include driving a UT vehicle, Recruitment Consultant must include the following statement in the job description: Must possess a valid driver's license issued by the State where the applicant resides and must be insurable as defined in the UT System BPM 16-05-02, as applicable to the performance of essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- If the position is being funded by a grant, the following statement must also be included in the job description: This position is grant funded and continued employment is contingent upon availability of funds.
- If the position is open/posted externally, the position will also be advertised by the Recruitment Consultant on the TexasWorkforce Commission (TWC), Marine Executive Association, Ability Links and any additional recruiting sources that meet our diversity outreach goals.
- The respective Recruitment Consultant will notify the hiring official once the position has been open/posted.
- The Recruitment Consultant will then initiate the Recruitment Checklist to ensure that every step is followed throughout the Recruitment process.
- In order to keep HR staff informed of all new employment opportunities, the respective Recruitment Consultant will notify the HR staff via e-mail.
- Once the position is advertised, the Recruitment Consultants will perform all the pre-screening for their assigned positions based on job description and additional criteria obtained during the recruitment plan meeting. The Recruitment Consultant will also use the Equivalency Guidelines as a source to verify that the equivalent combination of education and experience deems the applicant qualified for the position.
- The Recruitment Consultant will email the hiring official a list of candidates that meet minimum and preferred qualifications for their review.
- The final list of candidates will not be submitted until the posted position has closed so that all qualified applicants can receive full consideration.
- An interview list will be created after the hiring official reviews the applications of all qualified applicants that meet preferred requirements, aside from minimum requirements. It is recommended to use the preferred requirements advertised as a criteria to create the interview list.
- These candidates will move forward in the hiring process and be scheduled for an interview.
- The interview list will be emailed to the Recruiting Consultant along with the interview committee availability.The recruiting consultant will then proceed to schedule the candidates.
The Recruitment Consultant is available to provide various levels of assistance related to Interviews:
- Review/Finalize interview questions prior to interview date
- Serve as a scoring or non-scoring interview committee member to take proper documentation measures for clear, transparent hiring
- Facilitate interviews
- Obtain all proper documentation of the interview to ensure a clear, transparent hiring process and record retention
- All offers of employment at UTEP will be tendered by the Recruitment team and are contingent on the following:
- Acceptable results of criminal background process
- Acceptable verification of education achievement
- If the Hiring Official would like to extend an offer above the approved rate, a request will need to be submitted through SEAR for approval.
- The Recruitment Consultant will make the initial preliminary Selection Notification phone call to the selected candidate. This is not the official offer.
- This offer is contingent on the acceptable results of the criminal background check and credential check.
- The approved salary, tentative start date and other job specific questions can be discussed at this time.
- Also, during this time, the Recruitment Consultant will guide the selected candidate through the pre-employment process.
- Upon acceptable results of the criminal background check and approvals obtained through the BP Logix form (New Hire/ Re- Hire), the Recruitment Consultant will initiate the official offer
- If the applicant accepts the official offer, the respective Recruitment Consultant will generate an appropriate offer/appointment letter which will include the official first day of employment, salary offered and New Hire Orientation date scheduled. Only benefit eligible incumbents are scheduled for New Employee Orientation.
The Electronic Data Management (EDM) team will process all onboarding documentation and create an employee employee record in PeopleSoft.
- Recruiter will send the appropriate notices to the candidates
- Original recruitment documentation is filed along with interview notes and any other material received from the applicants
Job Offer Letter
- New Hire signs Job Offer letter
- Recruiter creates Appointment Actions IAP Request Form
- Recruiter will title a PDF scan of the signed letter in this format: Candidate's Last Name, First Name, Position Title, Position ID, and DTN#
Content Document Archiving
- Recruiters will prepare the Job Offer Packet for imaging through Perceptive Content
- The packet will typically include a Job Offer Letter, Resume, Job Description, Job Posting, and Transcripts, if applicable.
- If the imaged packet meets the reproducible guidelines, the respective Recruiter can clear the hard copy of the packet for shredding
The above outlined Hiring Process is representative of typical Recruitment Efforts, apply to all departments generating an Employment Requisition with the intent of hiring an employee, and do not account for all situations that may arise due to departmental or hiring needs.
Human Resources and the Hiring Department/Official