Frank Cotton donates his entire estate to Liberal Arts! … sort of
This Week in Liberal Arts History … 1937: Frank Cotton, an investor from Boston, visited El Paso only once in his life. In 1881, he purchased several thousand acres of land in El Paso and in what is now Hudspeth and Culberson counties. At the time of his death in 1907, he stated that once the land reached $1 million in value, it would be used to fund a school for girls in Boston. The Great Depression and property taxes prevented the property from reaching the trigger amount. The last remaining executor of the estate, fearing that he would die before the value of the estate reached $1 million, was persuaded in 1937 to donate the land to the College of Mines and Metallurgy to fund a department of arts and applied sciences for women. Women (and men) have benefitted from this generous bequest ever since.
During the 2017-2018 academic year, UTEP celebrates the 50th anniversary of the College of Liberal Arts. Tune in each week to learn something new about the history of liberal arts and more during our yearlong celebration. See you next week!