UTEP Faculty Members Named to List of World’s Top Researchers
20 UTEP faculty included in ranking of most widely cited researchers
Twenty current and past UTEP faculty members are included in the latest Stanford-Elsevier ranking of the world’s most cited researchers and those who are among the top 2% within their specialty areas.
That is an increase from the 16 UTEP researchers who made the original ranking in 2020.
“We see this as further evidence of UTEP’s growing stature nationally and internationally as a research institution of the highest level,” said Roberto Osegueda, Ph.D., UTEP vice president for research. “My sincere congratulations to the UTEP researchers who made the list.”
The ranking method is a based on standardized citation metrics developed by a group of scientists led by John P.A. Ioannidis, M.D., D.Sc., at Stanford University. The original study was published in the PLOS Biology Journal in October 2020. The latest version of the data set was published by Elsevier in November 2022.
The following UTEP researchers were included in the most recent version of the ranking:
- Thomas Boland, Ph.D., College of Engineering (7,159 citations)
- Carlos Cabrera, Ph.D., College of Science (5,219 citations)
- Ruey (Kelvin) Cheu, Ph.D., College of Engineering (2,927 citations)
- Russell Chianelli, Ph.D., College of Science, retired (6,469 citations)
- Luis Echegoyen, Ph.D., College of Science (14,778 citations)
- Jorge Gardea-Torresdey, Ph.D., College of Science (20,777 citations)
- Eli Greenbaum, Ph.D., College of Science (2,161 citations)
- William C. Herndon, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, College of Science, deceased (1,976 citations)
- Josiah Heyman, Ph.D., College of Liberal Arts (1,268 citations)
- Vladik Kreinovich, Ph.D., College of Engineering (3,408 citations)
- James Kubicki, Ph.D., College of Science (7,450 citations)
- Devesh Misra, Ph.D., College of Engineering (16,747 citations)
- Lawrence E. Murr, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, College of Engineering (18,151 citations)
- Keith Pannell, Ph.D., College of Science (3,708 citations)
- James E. Payne, Ph.D., Woody L. Hunt College of Business (9,197 citations)
- Mark Pederson, Ph.D., College of Science (26,159 citations)
- Jose Peralta-Videa, Ph.D., College of Science (13,872 citations)
- Chintalapalle Ramana, Ph.D., College of Engineering (5,228 citations)
- Douglas Watts, Ph.D., College of Science (7,352 citations)
- Ryan Wicker, Ph.D., College of Engineering (11,387 citations)
“It is an honor to be recognized among the top 2% of cited researchers in the Stanford-Elsevier worldwide ranking,” said James E. Payne, Ph.D., dean of the Woody L. Hunt College of Business. “Such a designation provides validation of the impact of one’s research efforts. Congratulations to the other UTEP faculty in the ranking for their contributions.”
Though Payne’s research cuts across several sub-areas within economics, his research in energy and environmental economics has been extensively cited in the literature in those fields.
The study that resulted in the creation of the ranking analyzed data collected during the period from 1996 to 2021, covering scientists in 22 major fields and 174 subfields.
About The University of Texas at El Paso
The University of Texas at El Paso is America’s leading Hispanic-serving university. Located at the westernmost tip of Texas, where three states and two countries converge along the Rio Grande, 84% of our 24,000 students are Hispanic, and half are the first in their families to go to college. UTEP offers 169 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs at the only open-access, top-tier research university in America.
Last Updated on January 26, 2023 at 12:00 AM | Originally published January 26, 2023
By MC Staff UTEP Marketing and Communications