Center for Simulation
Center for Simulation
Located in the Health Sciences and Nursing building at UTEP, the innovative simulation center is a 16,000 square-foot facility featuring nine simulation laboratories; four private testing rooms; and six standardized patient rooms where students train in “real life” scenarios dealing with a variety of health related issues such as home health care, maternity, mental health, cardiovascular care, and medical surgical care in a safe learning environment. The center is equipped with 62 video cameras, which are monitored in the control room where faculty can evaluate their students.
The 53-bed facility is similar in size to a large hospital unit. The Center is designed to allow interprofessional students to develop core competencies in safe setting through the use of innovative simulation based learning activities.
The Center is helping change the face of health care education. By authoring innovations such as the Simulated Hospital Day, the Faculty Playbook, the Alternative Clinical Experience (ACE), Academic Coaching, Mental Health and Community Clinical Days and interprofessional collaborations, we are providing students and the local community with unique and invaluable experiences.
- Simulated Hospital Days – Conducted over 45 times a year with an average of 20 scripted student patients, students provide total holistic care for their patients during the 8 hour event. This event is conducted with help from over 10 interprofessional community partners such as physicians, therapists, military, magnet schools and nurses.
- Alternative Clinical Experience – Students are challenged to utilize clinical judgement and psycho motor skills during scenario based activities.
- Mine Shaft-Skills Challenge – Students participate in activities where they compete for prizes.
- Open Lab – Students are given the opportunity to improve their skills through practice throughout their training.
- Academic Coaching – a course specific learning activity to reinforce didactic content and enhance knowledge, academic coaching covers a variety of topics that are beneficial to improving overall nursing education.
Schedule a Center tour today!
The Center is open to schools and other organizations, to provide insight into the lab. This tour opportunity enables the staff to showcase the use of its top quality equipment and innovative processes in hopes to enlighten perspective students and fellow community partners.