COVID-19 and UTEP Research
UTEP Guidance and Contact Information
- NEW Q&A Responses from Research Continuity Meeting May 5, 2020 (May 8, 2020)
- NEW COVID-19 Funding Opportunities (April 15, 2020)
- UTEP Research Continuity (April 10, 2020)
- New Restrictions on Access to Research Labs (March 24, 2020)
- Restrictions of Undergraduate Students Access to Research Labs (March 20, 2020)
- General Guidance from Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Regarding ongoing Research and Sponsored Project Activities [HTML] (March 18, 2020)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information
- Guidance from the State of Texas
If you have any questions about your research program, please contact your assigned research administrator at (firstname.lastname@example.org) . If you have questions related to your IRB protocols, please email email@example.com. If you need assistance with writing grant proposal please contact the Proposal Development Team at ORSPPropDev@utep.edu.
For any other questions, please contact the office at (915) 747-5680.
Prepare for possible impacts on research
(Source: Ohio State University)
As the country and state prepare for the potential impacts of COVID-19, this is a good time to prepare about its possible impacts on your research program.
Scenarios to consider:
- What would the impact be to my research and sponsored programs if I had to self-quarantine for two weeks?
- What would the impact be to my research and sponsored programs if more than one of my research staff had to self-quarantine for two weeks?
Assess the potential impact in any of the above scenarios:
- Are there studies involving participants, animals, ingredients, or experiments that would be adversely affected? If so, what plans should be put in place to allow for them to continue or allow for them to be stopped and later resumed in the least impactful way?
- What standing purchasing orders or human resource issues might be impacted?
- Would data collection/analysis/storage be impacted?
- What costs would be associated with these impacts?
- What regulatory approvals will be expiring soon and what would be the impacts if they are not renewed? Can they be renewed early?
- Are there any collaborators that need to be notified?
- What sponsor reports or deadlines might be due during this time period?
- Would the impact of these actions warrant a for-cost or no-cost extension request for any of my sponsored projects?
- What notice might I need to give sponsors or regulators if the research is going to be paused or significantly delayed beyond a couple of weeks?
Once you have considered the impact for each of these scenarios, please take appropriate steps to make sure your research program is prepared.
From our Federal Sponsors
As additional federal agencies provide guidance we will add links here.
Air Force Research Laboratory
Centers for Disease Control
Executive Office of the President
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
Department of Defense
- Frequently Asked Questions for DOD Research Proposers and Awardees Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (Posted: 3/30/20)
Department of Energy
Federal Transit Administration
- Frequently Asked Questions from FTA Grantees Regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (Posted: 3/31/20)
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- COVID-19 Grantee Frequently Asked Questions (Posted: 4/1/20)
Housing and Urban Development
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) for Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP) Grantees and Applicants (Posted: 3/26/20)
Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates - Information for IMLS Grant Applicants and Awardees (Posted: 4/10/20)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- NASA Shared Services Center (NSSC) - Coronavirus Info (Posted: 4/3/20)
- NASA's Science Mission Directorate FAQs on Grants and Research during the COVID-19 Epidemic (Posted: 4/14/20)
National Endowment for the Arts
National Endowment for the Humanities
National Institutes of Health
- All NIH Grants COVID-19 information
- NIH YouTube Video Update for Grant Applicants
- NIH Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information
- NIH NIAID: Coronavirus Resources for Researchers
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- NOAA guidance to financial assistance recipients during COVID-19 (Posted: 4/21/20)
National Science Foundation
Office of Naval Research
Office on Violence against Women
- Guidance to Award Recipients impacted by COVID-19 (Posted: 3/30/20)
Sandia National Laboratories
- Mission Essential Subcontract Activities During COVID-19 Response (Posted: 4/7/20)
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- COVID-19 Information for SAMHSA Discretionary Grant Recipients (Posted: 3/25/20)
US Department of Education
- ED Fact Sheet - COVID19 (Posted: 4/9/20)
U.S. Department of Energy
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
U.S. Department of Justice
- Guidance to Award Recipients Impacted by COVID-19: Short Term Relief for Various Administrative, Financial Management, and Audit Requirements (Posted: 03/23/20)
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- FDA Guidance on Conduct of Clinical Trials of Medical Products during COVID-19 Pandemic (Posted: 03/30/20)
USDA – National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- NIFA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources For Partners (Posted: 4/03/20)
From our Non-Federal Sponsors
As additional non-fedearl agencies provide guidance we will add links here.
American Heart Association
- Notice to AHA Research Community Regarding COVID-19 (Posted: 4/7/20)
Andrew Mellon Foundation
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation: A Message to Our Grantees and Partners about COVID-19 (Posted: 3/31/20)
Paso del Norte Health Foundation
- Message to Paso del Norte Health Foundation Grantees (Posted: 3/26/20)
- American College Health Association
- Association of Public and Land-grant Universities Responses to Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control
- Council on Governmental Relations (COGR) FAQs
- Council on Governmental Relations (COGR) Federal Agency Response
- COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) Information and Resources for Schools and School Personnel (Department of Education)
- Department of State Travel Advisories
- Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Institutions of Higher Education (2013)
- Interim Guidance for Administrators of US Institutions of Higher Education (IHE) to Plan, Prepare and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Office of Human Research Protections (Posted: 04/15/20)
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) Disaster Planning and Response Resources
- ONR - Information from ONR Regional Offices to Support Electronic Payments, Refunds, and Reporting (Posted: 4/9/20)
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (Department of State)
- State and Territorial Health Department Websites
- Texas Department of State Health Services COVID-19 website
- UTA Coronavirus Information
- UTEP EH & S Coronavirus Website
- World Health Organization