ACS 2020 President
In this COVID-19 pandemic year my plans as President of the ACS have been largely suspended and most have been postponed until 2021.
I have to say that in spite of the lockdown and limited mobility it has been very busy, trying to master multiple virtual communication platforms and conducting business for my university as well as for the ACS. I recorded multiple videos on behalf of the ACS, such as:
- the “COVID-19 response/canceling the Philadelphia national meeting,” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ckrbDRfgk
- “Congratulations to students selected for Posters on the Hill;” https://youtu.be/UyYzBzEQ8Z0
- “Earth Week Celebration (Photovoltaics, in Spanish)”;
- “Chemistry Olympiad celebration for SCALACS;”
- “A statement on the killing of George Floyd;” https://youtu.be/qYuC_Ug2auk
- “EuChemS 50th anniversary;”
- and the “Green Chemistry Conference opening remarks.”
I was also the Keynote Speaker for the US National Chemistry Olympiad competition banquet held virtually on June 12, 2020. So even though travel has been completely halted, many things have continued to move forward.
Increase International Partnerships and Collaborations
In an effort to increase international partnerships and collaborations, I have worked with Membership Strategy & Operations to provide complimentary 1-year memberships to international students. As of June 2020, there have been 126 student recipients.
- Guatemala: 24
- Mexico: 22
- Chile: 20
- Argentina: 20
- Peru: 20
- Panama: 20