Our research interest focuses on nonlinear optical microscopy and spectroscopy with applications in biophysics. One area is developing advanced optical microscopy for molecular and cellular imaging in medical research. Nonlinear optical microscopes based upon two-photon fluorescence, coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering and pump-probe method, are developed to image a variety of biological tissues and cells both in vitro and in vivo. We are also developing femtosecond laser spectroscopy to study ultrafast dynamics in molecular systems, e.g. organic photovoltaics and novel two-dimensional materials.
Postdoctoral Associates: Dr. Yu Ding, Dr. Yongdong Wang
Ph.D. Students: Aurelio Paez
M.S. Student: Syeed Ahmed
Undergraduate Student: Angela Aguilar
- Development of a Scan-less Temporal Focusing Two-photon Fluorescence Microscope for High-speed Three-dimensional Imaging (supported by NSF)
- Super Resolution Pump-Probe Microscopy for Biomedical Imaging (supported by NIH)
- Nanoscale Transient Absorption Spectroscopy to Study Carrier Dynamics in Organic Solar Cells (supported by NSF)
- Ding, Y., Li, C., “Dual-color multiple-particle tracking at 50-nm localization and over 100-µm range in 3D with temporal focusing two-photon microscopy”, Biomedical Optics Express, 7, 4187-4197, (2016).
- Li, C., Pastila, R.K., Lin, C.P., “Label-free imaging immune cells and collagen in atherosclerosis with two-photon and second harmonic generation microscopy”, Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences, 9, 164003, (2016).
- Acosta, Y., Zhang, Q., Rahaman, A., Ouellet, H., Xiao, C., Sun, J., Li, C., “Imaging Cytosolic Translocation of Mycobacteria with Two-Photon Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer Microscopy”, Biomedical Optics Express, 5, 3990-4001 (2014).
- Zhao, L., Peralta-Videa, J.R., Ren, M., Varela-Ramirez, A., Li, C., Hernandez-Viezcas, J.A., Aguilera, R.J., Gardea-Torresdey, J.L., “Transport of Zn in a Sandy Loam Soil Treated with ZnO NPs and Uptake by Corn Plants: Electron microprobe and confocal microscopy studies”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 184, 1-8 (2012).