Black Affinity Group
BAG condemns gun violence against the innocent, especially the most vulnerable in our society. Gun violence is a severe issue in our society, and we all must commit to ending gun violence.
Please find BAG’s official statement regarding the mass shooting in Buffalo, NY
Welcome to the UTEP Black Affinity Group. We are a group of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to advocating for the Black community at UTEP and within the greater El Paso community. On this website you will find information about our organization including details on membership, events, support (advocacy, mentorship, and community), and our administration.
The mission of the Black Affinity Group at the University of Texas at El Paso is to provide effective leadership and promote the well-being and success of Black faculty, staff and students, while advocating for full equity, recognition, inclusion, and emancipation of our community members.
The purpose of the organization is to
- Promote unity, provide support, advocacy and build a sustained and engaged community among Black faculty, staff, and students.
- Provide an immediate and effective medium for addressing issues of concern to Black faculty, staff and students.
- Serve as fierce advocates for those suffering from inequality, racism, and injustice.
- Provide opportunities for faculty and student mentorship and build bridges linking the organization to the larger Black community.
- Ensure the successful recruitment, retention, promotion, career advancement, and matriculation of the Black population on campus.
- Develop and promote social and educational programs that heighten cultural awareness, promote social responsibility, inspire leadership, and enhance community service and development.