Phi Alpha Honor Society
The purposes of this Phi Alpha chapter shall be:
- To recognize and promote scholastic achievement among undergraduate and graduate students in the social work program at the University of Texas at El Paso.
- To recognize, improve, and further the humanitarian goals and ideals of social work through academic achievement.
- To foster a closer bond among students, faculty, and practitioners of social work.
- To stimulate students’ interest in preparation for a career in social work.
- To encourage continued study and research in social work.
- To recognize professional social workers and others whose service, contributions and leadership are held in high esteem.
Any undergraduate or graduate social work student at the University of Texas at El Paso who meets the qualifications set forth by the social work faculty committee and board members shall be eligible for active membership.The current minimum requirement of GPA for graduate and undergraduate students are 3.75 and 3.5 respectively.
Students are selected by the faculty members of the Department of Social Work and will be informed by the Faculty Advisor of Phi Alpha.
Each chapter may select two persons each year for honorary membership. This recognition is available to persons outside the program who have made a significant contribution to the program and/or society.