About SURE CHEM
The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience in Chemistry (SURE CHEM) Program will provide a cohort of summer participants with a high quality experience that combines education, novel research in state-of-the-art facilities, one-on-one mentoring, and training in other relevant professional skills such as English and communication. The program targets to introduce research areas and graduate programs at UTEP Chemistry and Biochemistry Department.
The major emphasis of this program is the research as well as English communication skills in research. Beside taking some English classes, the participants will be integrated into the research groups of individual faculty mentors. SURE CHEM participants often share common research objectives as well as goals for academic and professional development. Consequently, program participants will meet frequently as a group for discussions, training, formal presentations, workshops and seminars. At the end of the program students have the opportunities to present the results of their summer's efforts at the semi-annual COURI Research Symposium.
Estimated Budget & Expenses for 2022
- five students budgeted at $3,000 per award
- Includes $300 per week meal/incidentals allowance (for 8 weeks)
- English training and testing $500
Benefits & Responsibilities
Students have an opportunity to choose the project that they would like to work on and the laboratory/faculty member they are interested in joining. In the application form students can select from among several projects designed to take them from novice to relatively independent researcher status over the 8-week program. These projects will provide a meaningful exposure to research methodologies and state-of-the-art equipment.
- Sharpen lab/research skills
- Conduct projects of interest in state-of-the-art facilities
- Enhance professional development
- Improve English verbal and written communication skills
- Exposure to a different culture and language
- Commitment to the 8 week schedule
- Participation in all activities/workshops for the program
- Preparation and presentation of a research poster at the end of the program
- Timely completion of appropriate Visa process (International students)