The University of Texas at El Paso is now utilizing the intuitive SciShield (Formerly called BioRAFT) software management system to collect, organize and display real-time safety and compliance information. Commonly utilized at other top research universities, this system will save researchers time on safety and compliance tasks, allowing them to focus on their research, while helping the institution more easily manage risk. With SciShield, UTEP will build a sustainable, protected database of people, spaces, hazards and job activities that will be the foundation for keeping our research community of faculty, students and staff safe across our all of campuses and sites.
- Research Managment Tool
- Track laboratory hazards and information
- Take online training and track training requirements and status for PIs and lab members
- Easy access to safety documents and SOPs
SciShield reports numerous benefits experienced at other top research institutions:
- A 60% average reduction in time spent by researchers on the top 15 common safety tasks.
- Between 53% and 84% reduction in time spent on training and other safety-specific tasks.
- 1,288 fewer hours spent conducting inspections by environmental, health and safety staff.
Among its many features, SciShield:
- Registers laboratories, researchers, authorizations, and requirements;
- Automates training requirements and reminders;
- Delivers online training and manages classroom training;
- Reports managing committee reviews and oversight.
For more about SciShield Software Solutions click here.
Faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students that work or conduct research in a lab, shop, farm or other Research and Teaching area will use SciShield.
For visiting faculty, students, interns or contractors that do not have a UTEP user ID. To access scishield to take an online training, send a request to the email@example.com and include the person’s name, department, supervisor, and email. They will be issued a temporary userID and login which will be sent to their email.
Information is viewable only to authenticated and authorized individuals. For example, institutional compliance officers can view high-level information about laboratories across the institution. Principal Investigators in a lab can see relevant information only about their lab and lab members. Individual researchers can see only their information and certain information about their lab’s activities (depending on their role/job duties).
SciShield is a hosted web-based solution and is operating system-independent for end users. It has been tested extensively on both Windows and Macintosh based web browsers. The current and two previous major releases of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer/Edge and Safari are supported on a rolling basis.
Yes. There is no mobile version but you would access SciShield from the UTEP EH&S website as you would from your computer and the website is mobile device friendly.
No! The Environmental Health & Safety department has worked with SciShield to upload information into their system. You will simply login with your UTEP ID and password just as you do for other university systems.
Lab hazards and personnel must be updated whenever new hazards or personnel are introduced to the lab or at least annually.