The Bridge to the Doctorate Application
The UTEP Bridge to the Doctorate (BD) Fellowship Program is NOT soliciting applications at this time.
The BD project is open to first-year, STEM doctoral students. This includes qualified M.S. students in their last semester of studies with a confirmed STEM Ph.D. acceptance, qualified STEM Ph.D. students in their first semester of study, and senior undergraduate students who will complete their B.S. degree by July 2018 and who have been accepted into a UTEP STEM Ph.D. program. Each two-year fellowship includes a $64,000 stipend plus full tuition and fees, including student health insurance.Minimum Qualifications are:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must have participated in a Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) program as an undergraduate. Program participation/certification will be confirmed with the B.S. degree-granting institution.
- Must have participated in a federally-funded (NSF, NIH, DoD, DoE, etc.) undergraduate research experience prior to B.S. attainment.
- Must have received a Bachelor's degree from an LSAMP campus in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) discipline with a cumulative 3.25 GPA or better.
- Must be admitted into a STEM Ph.D. program at UTEP by June 1, 2018 and have no more than 18 doctoral credit hours.
- Letter of Interest
- Formal letter of acceptance into a UTEP doctoral program in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics
- Personal Statement, Relevant Background Statement, and Future Goals Statement (3-page limit for all three).
- A Graduate Research Plan Statement that includes a description of your proposed research and intellectual merit (2-page limit).
- Three letters of recommendation. One letter must be from the proposed research mentor. All letters must be included as part of the packet in individually-sealed envelopes.
- CV or resume
- Undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable only if they include your student ID number and the seal of the University.
The UT System LSAMP program is funded by the National Science Foundation grant number HRD-1202008 and HRD-1826745. Funding for the Bridge to the Doctorate projects is provided by NSF grant numbers HRD-0832951 (BD 2008-2010), HRD-0929727 (BD 2009-2011), HRD-1139929 (BD 2011-2013), HRD-1301858 (BD 2013-2015), and HRD-1810898 (BD 2018-2020).