The Bridge to the Doctorate Application
The UTEP Bridge to the Doctorate (BD) Fellowship Program is soliciting applications at this time. For Spring 2023 acceptance, the application period is November 1 – December2, 2022. For Fall 2023 acceptance, the deadline is June 30, 2023.
The BD project is open to first-year, STEM doctoral students. This includes senior undergraduate students who will are completing their B.S. degree and who have been accepted into a UTEP STEM Ph.D. program, qualified M.S. students in their last semester of studies with a confirmed STEM Ph.D. acceptance, and qualified STEM Ph.D. students in their first semester of study. Each two-year fellowship includes a $64,000 stipend plus full tuition and fees, including student health insurance.Program Qualifications are:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must have participated in a Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) program as an undergraduate. Program participation/certification will be confirmed with the BS degree-granting institution or must have participated in a federally-funded (NSF, NIH, DoD, DoE, etc.) undergraduate research experience prior to B.S. attainment.
- Must have received a Bachelor's degree from an LSAMP campus in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) discipline.
- Must be admitted into a STEM Ph.D. program at UTEP by December 2, 2022 (for Spring 2023 applicants) or June 1, 2023 (for Fall 2023 applicants) and have no more than 18 doctoral credit hours. The NSF definition of STEM fields includes mathematics, natural sciences, engineering, computer and information sciences, and the social and behavioral sciences – psychology, economics, sociology, and political science.
- Resume (pdf)
- Letter of Interest (pdf)
- Personal statement (1 page – pdf), relevant background statement (1 page – pdf), and future goals statement (1 page - pdf).
- A graduate research plan statement that includes a description of your proposed research (2 page - pdf).
- Two letters of recommendations from university faculty or professional staff (pdf).
- One letter of support from your proposed Ph.D. dissertation advisor (pdf).
- Official transcripts (pdf).
The UT System LSAMP program is funded by the National Science Foundation grant number HRD-1202008 and HRD-1826745. Funding for the Bridge to the Doctorate projects is provided by NSF grant numbers HRD-0832951 (BD 2008-2010), HRD-0929727 (BD 2009-2011), HRD-1139929 (BD 2011-2013), HRD-1301858 (BD 2013-2015), and HRD-1810898 (BD 2018-2020).