General Rules & Regulations
In order to create an optimum environment for study, research, and learning, Library patrons are asked to adhere to the following regulations:
- Noise. Electronic devices without headphones, such as radios, should not be used in the Library. Cellular phones should be set to “Mute” (lights, vibrate) so the ringing does not disturb other Library users. If at all possible, cellular telephone conversations should be conducted outside the building. Telephone use in the Library should be limited to public areas such as the atrium, balconies, or elevator vestibules rather than the CLC or study areas. The Library understands verbal interaction is necessary to conduct certain group activities, as well as conducting business at the public service desks. However, Library patrons should be considerate of other students, faculty, and staff who are reading and studying by keeping voice and other sound levels as low as possible.
- Use of furniture and equipment. Library furniture is for the exclusive use of patrons who are reading or studying. Furniture should not be relocated or used for sleeping, as footrests, etc. Computers, copiers, fax machines and telephones located at public service desks and in offices are for the use of Library staff; patrons are referred to the equipment in the building available for public use. To prevent damage to furniture and injuries to persons; one person per chair.
- Library materials. After using materials, please place them in the "sorting" area located on each stack floor or designated book trucks. Items may also be left on tables. Do not re-shelve materials or leave them where they can be damaged: on the floor, stacked too high, on copy machines, etc.
- Food and beverages. Due to COVID restrictions food is not allowed in the Library. Drinks are permitted but only with straws.
- Waste paper and trash. Patrons should clean up after themselves by placing waste paper and other trash, such as beverage and food containers, in waste receptacles located throughout the Library. Use of designated paper “recycling” bins is encouraged as appropriate.
- Sleeping in the library. The Library is open 24/7 at the end of each semester to provide a place for students to study and prepare for final exams. It is understood that students may be working long hours; falling asleep while studying in the Library is understandable. However "camping out" in the Library is not permitted. Any kind of bedding including pillows, blankets, and sleeping bags is not permitted. Library staff and/or security guards patrol the library to enforce this policy.
- University environmental health and safety regulations require footwear to be worn at all times in campus buildings, including the Library.
Repeated rule violations will be reported to the Dean of Students and may result in disciplinary action. A complete set of regulations governing the use of the UTEP Library is available in the Library administrative office.