The C. L. Sonnichsen Special Collections Department is located on the sixth floor. The book collections include the Chicano Collection, the Judaica Collection, the S. L. A. Marshall Military History Collection, the Southwest and Border Studies Collection, as well as collections of art and rare books. In addition to printed sources, the department has
Support Special Collections – please give to the Endowment Fund
Special Collections contains rare books as well as thematic book collections such as the Southwest, Chicano, Judaica, Art, Marshall Military, and McCord Poetry collections.
- Archival Collections List
- Book Collections
- Finding Aids
- Image Collections
- Manuscript Collections
- Oral History Collection
- Special Collections on ScholarWorks@UTEP
- Special Collections on Portal to Texas History
- Special Collections on Archive-It -- COVID, Shapleigh, Lapolaka
- Special Collections on Archive-It -- Walmart Shooting
- UTEP History
Tours are available to the public during regular hours of operation. For more information, please call (915) 747-5697.
The Special Collections Department provides instruction sessions about our department and holdings for undergraduate and graduate classes. Please contact Claudia Rivers or (915) 747-6725 for more information.
- Copying & Scanning
- How to Use Special Collections
- User Policies -- En Español
- Gift Policy
- Deed of Gift
- Request for Publication
- Remote Storage
Materials housed in off-site storage may take a few days to retrieve. Contact Claudia Rivers or Abbie Weiser to coordinate retrieval.
The Special Collections Department regularly curates exhibits on the sixth, third, and second floors of the UTEP Library. The fourth floor features a permanent exhibit of artist José Cisneros’s original illustrations for his book Riders Across the Centuries: Horsemen of the Spanish Borderlands.
- A New Spain: 1521- 1821 -- 3rd floor, atrium
- Second-Wave Feminism in El Paso, 1960s – 1980s -- an online exhibit.
- Images of Black El Paso -- 6th floor
- Jigsaw Puzzles -- online relief for trying times!
- Carrillo in Color -- an online exhibit
- "The Right to a Voice in the Affairs of Their Own Government": Women's Suffrage in El Paso, 1915-1920 -- an online exhibit
Carl Hertzog Award
The Hertzog Award is a biennial book award that celebrates excellence in book design. It’s presented by the Friends of the University Library.
- Antiquarian Book Resources
- Oral History Institute
- Portal to Texas History
- Texas Archive of the Moving Image (TAMI)
Special Collections Reference Desk: (915) 747-5697
Head, Special Collections
News / Events
Special Collections receives the prestigious 2019 THRAB Award
- December 2020 Newsletter
- June 2020 Newsletter
- December 2019 Newsletter
- June 2019 Newsletter
- Archived Newsletters
Special Collections' 50th Anniversary
September 2017 marks the fiftieth anniversary of the C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections Department at the University of Texas at El Paso Library.