Any member of the faculty, staff, or student body of University of Texas at El Paso who proposes to engage in any research activity involving the use of human subjects (see FAQ) must submit the following to the IRB (all forms may be downloaded from the IRB forms web page or the online forms library in the IRBNet).Submit all the documentation with the application: The following items are required:
- Cover sheet for IRB application
- A Completed IRB Proposal (proposal template) or go to forms for other templates.
- Faculty- Although your Department Chair’s electronic signature is not required, it is suggested that you share the study with your Chair for information purposes when you submit your new study for review.
- Students- It is required to share the submission with your Advisor and have them electronically sign the submission.
- Training Verification to meet the University requirements for training of researchers in the protection of human subjects in research (CITI or NIH);
- An informed consent document or justification for Waiver of Informed Consent or Waiver of Documentation of Consent;
- Relevant study instruments (questionnaires, surveys, interview questions, etc);
- Site Approval Letters for extramural research (if applicable)
- Recruitment materials (flyers, posters, web-pages, e-mail messages, etc)
- One complete copy of
thegrant application, and the identification number assigned to it by the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects.
- All submissions to the IRB are via IRBNet.org
- Allow at least 2-6 weeks for your expedited review of new, renewal, or revision materials
- Submit at least 14 days before convened board meeting for any full board review
Exemption Request Application
Under federal regulations, certain types of minimal risk research are exempt from review, unless the institution chooses to review it.
Under UTEP policy, ALL research involving human participants must be reviewed and determination received prior to
Federal regulations do not require signed informed consent for exempt research projects. However, subjects should be given information regarding the research project whenever possible. This can be accomplished through the use of a written Study Information Sheet(SIS) or other appropriate methods may be developed.
If you have any questions or concerns about these or any IRB-related processes, please contact the IRB Administrator at (915) 747-7693 or at email@example.com.