Any member of the faculty, staff, or student body of University of Texas at El Paso who proposes to engage in any research activity involving the use of human subjects (see FAQ) must create and submit projects electronically in the IRBNet system for Institutional Review Board. Forms may be downloaded from the IRB forms web page or the online forms library in the IRBNet).
Submit all the documentation with the application:
The following items are required
- A Completed IRB Proposal ( proposal template) or go to forms for other templates.
- Faculty- Although your Department Chair’s electronic signature is not required, it is suggested that you share the study with your Chair for information purposes when you submit your new study for review.
- Students- It is required to share the submission with your Advisor and have them electronically sign the submission.
- Training Verification to meet the University requirements for
trainingof researchers in the protection of human subjects in research (CITI);
- An informed consent document or study information sheet. Justification for Waiver of Informed Consent or Waiver of Documentation of Consent must be included in the study protocol application.
- Relevant study instruments (questionnaires, surveys, interview questions, etc);
- Site Approval Letters for extramural research (if applicable)
- Recruitment materials (flyers, posters, web-pages, e-mail messages, etc)
- One complete copy of the grant application, and the identification number assigned to it by the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects.
- All submissions to the IRB are via IRBNet.org
- Allow at least 2-6 weeks for your expedited review of new, renewal, or revision materials
- Submit at least 21 days before
convenedboard meeting for any full board review. If you anticipate that your application will require full board review, please observe the deadlines below.
- An application accepted by the published deadline will generally be assigned to the corresponding meeting. However, there may be circumstances when this is not possible, in which case it will be assigned to the next available committee meeting. Please be advised that receipt by submission deadline does not guarantee review at the corresponding meeting.
- Application Submission Deadline
Application Submission Deadline Meeting Date* 09/25/2019 10/28/2019 10/25/2019 11/25/2019 11/25/2019 12/23/2019 12/25/2019 01/27/2020 01/25/2020 02/24/2020 02/25/2020 03/23/2020 03/25/2020 04/27/2020 04/25/2020 05/25/2020 05/25/2020 06/22/2020 06/25/2020 07/27/2020 07/25/2020 08/24/2020 08/25/2020 09/28/2020
- *Meeting Date subject to change due to conflict of availability.
Exemption Request Application
Under federal regulations, certain types of minimal risk research are exempt from review, unless the institution chooses to review it.
Under UTEP policy, ALL research involving human participants must be reviewed and determination received prior to
Federal regulations do not require signed informed consent for exempt research projects. However, subjects should be given information regarding the research project whenever possible. This can be accomplished through the use of a written Study Information Sheet(SIS) or other appropriate methods may be developed.
If you have any questions or concerns about these or any IRB-related processes, please contact the IRB Administrator at (915) 747-7693 or at email@example.com.